Albuquerque and Santa Fe Transportation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2020, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Traveling to Santa Fe for three nights of opera performances in August. Have never been. Currently have a rental care reserved at ABQ which I will drop off at the Santa Fe airport. We fly from there through Dallas and on to London and Edinburgh.

Since the Opera offers a paid shuttle back and forth to the performances I am wondering if we even need the rental car because I suspect we might be satisfied with three days in Santa Fe as opposed to taking day trips elsewhere.

I know this is VERY subjective but wondering if others have found Santa Fe offering enough for three days. Appreciate any thoughts one way or the other. Is Taos worth a day trip, etc.?

I am assuming there is paid transportation available from ABQ to Santa Fe. I know about the train services already.

Thanks very much.
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I almost always get a rental car when I travel so my opinion can be a little biased since I don't fret about paying for a car rental if the car may sit unused in a parking lot for a day. You may not feel the same way.

Santa Fe is a lovely walkable town. So, if you are staying in the center of Santa Fe and are content with walking around to visit museums, art galleries, pottery and craft shops you can easily spend three days without a car. If, however, you want to visit some of the nearby pueblos, cliff dwellings, nature parks, hiking trails, etc. then you'll really want to have a rental car. And, yes, a trip to Taos is well worth the time and you'll definitely need a rental car for that. Hint: Take the very scenic 'High Road" there and the "Low Road" on your return - it will make the ride that much more enjoyable.

So, if it were me, I'd keep the rental car mainly because having it will give you more flexibility with planning your day's activity without worrying about what happens if I get bored with seeing art galleries.

Old Jan 24th, 2020, 07:45 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
The rental car does have the advantage of going when you want. How comfortable are you with driving on the right side of the road? Do you pay extra for picking up at one place and dropping another?
I must admit that I have never been to Santa Fe. I/we have been to Albuquerque a couple of times and have gotten around by the good bus service and other public transport. The times that I've been in ABQ, I/we arrived by train. Some year I have the balloon festival on my list(October). At that time I might also rent a car and go to see Santa Fe.
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the two replies above. I think I am going to keep the rental.
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 10:48 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I think having a car is a good idea. While it's possible to have a fine time getting around on foot, you'll have a better choice of restaurants if you have wheels. And it's nice to be able to take a spontaneous drive around or out of town.
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 12:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree with the others who've responded and said a car will give you more flexibility although you may ultimately find no reason to use it. I don't like driving in downtown SF (and parking is a bear) but I also don't mind using Uber/Lyft if I'm too tired, hot or whatever. I only bring that up b/c I know you don't use those services and I'm pretty sure SF doesn't have a regular commercial taxi company. There are black car services and pedi-cabs.

There is a shuttle which runs from the rail yard to the plaza up to Museum Hill and up & down the art galleries on Canyon Road.

If you have opera tickets each of your three nights, I don't think a day trip to Taos is enough time to give it justice.
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 03:26 PM

I enjoyed visiting the various pueblos, driving to Bandelier, Taos and stopping in Chimayo much more than shopping in Santa Fe so it depends on your interests.
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 04:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I recommend the Torquoise Trail (state hwy. 14) between Albuquerque and Santa Fe.

https://www.turquoisetrail.org/
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 04:03 PM

Couple of recommendations a bit out of the ordinary:

There's an amazing Japanese lodge/spa/restaurant just NE of the city (5 minutes) called 10,000 Waves. Their website doesn't do the place justice, it's gorgeous.

Albuquerque and Santa Fe Transportation-original_ten-thousand-waves-80.jpg

https://tenthousandwaves.com/

There's quite an art installation on the SW (the strippy Home Depot/Walmart) end of town called Meow Wolf https://meowwolf.com/

Having returned to Santa Fe 15 times in the 15 years due to work and having a friend living there, I will say that if you allow it the city will change you. It's full of artists who can do things like make backsplash tiles with glazes that match the colors of your granite countertops, and potters who can make dishes that complement the crap apple flowers in your yard-- both things that I've had done that I wouldn't even have considered beforehand.

Last edited by tom_mn; Jan 24th, 2020 at 04:05 PM.
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 02:41 AM
Original Poster

As always, an absolute wealth of additional information for which I am grateful.

Yes, I continue to avoid whenever possible, the ride services unless absolutely forced to do so.

I deeply appreciate the information about the "conditions" in Santa Fe such as the parking. We will use this opportunity to walk places and leave the car parked at the hotel I suspect.

Again, thank you
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 01:45 PM

Fwiw, Dukey, my 2018 TR might give you ideas:
Santa Fe Getaway 2018

Although I saw an errant green cab, I was told there are no city cabs now because of Uber and Lyft. If true, you'll be glad for the car. I did take a van service to/from Albuquerque and they were fine. Name has changed.

The altitude troubled me. It took several days to acclimate. Please report back. I'm happily jealous of the trip!
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 08:40 PM
Original Poster

I have often not taken the time to write trip reports and for a variety of reasons which usually center around the notion of “most folks aren’t interested in my travel interests and I rarely have all those ‘yummy’ foods” but perhaps I should re-think that attitude.

thank you for the link to your own TR and thank you taking the time to write it.
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 03:42 PM

Thanks, Dukey.
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 07:56 PM

I would not bother with a car. Santa Fe is very walkable and full of wonderful galleries, shops and restaurants Someone above said there is a shuttle between the main areas. That’s easy to check with visitor's bureau or your hotel. Part of the opera experience is picnicking there. take the earliest shuttle And enjoy the view while you eat. I think walking around at over7,000 feet will be tiring enough without trying to drive to see other places, worthwhile as they are. You don’t want to doze off during the performances.
Old Jan 27th, 2020, 05:45 AM

Chiming in one last time.

The central plaza in Santa Fe is wonderful and there is a lot within waking distance, and this is the heart of the city. My caution to your staying only here (without a car or using Uber/Lyft) is that you will be immersed in the white, upper middle class, geriatric visitors that dominate this part of the city. There's quite an vibrant culture going on in the city but you will need to get outside the central plaza area to experience it fully.

Parking within the arc of Paseo de Paralta and Hwy 285 on the west (these streets close a circle that defines the core of the city) is going to be some effort although there are pay lots close to the Plaza and timed or metered on-street parking out toward the Paseo.

Correction to PM: The opera seating is covered
Old Jan 27th, 2020, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the additional thoughts.