Santa Fe and Albuquerque Questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 01:36 PM
stan

Greetings:

On way to Santa fe and Albuquerque. Going to confernce in ALB for four days in March. Going two days early so that we can see Santa fe. Recommendations on must see places would be appreciated.

I am particularly interetsed in photgraphing scenery - so tips on that subject would be helpful.

Also any recommendation for places to stay in Santa Fe (works i paying for the hotle in ALbq).

thanks

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 01:47 PM
xxx

Take the tram up to Sandia Peak - scenic views of the valley below.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 02:31 PM
Larry

The drive to and the walk through Bandielier Nat'l Park is well wort the time. Take lots of film.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 02:56 PM
texasgirl

Take the Turqouise Trail back route to Santa Fe rather than the Interstate. If you have time, the High Road to Taos is beautiful, with interesting little towns and weaving shops, etc., to stop in. THe town of Chimayo along that road is interesting for its old church and the plaza.

What type of place are you looking for in SF? And budget? There are tons of places, from the chains (which tend to be too far from the Plaza to walk to it) to big hotels to lovely little b&bs, but it's hard to recommend something without some idea of budget//desires...

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 01:59 PM
ccc

How are the motels within walking distance of the plaza? i.e. SantaFe Motel and Inn! The advertisements say 5 blocks to plaza, but is that accross major highways. Also is it next to the SantaFe Hotel? That would be a plus I guess.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 04:49 PM
r

Texas girl has some great ideas. Also, The Hotel Santa Fe is beautiful but there are so many lovely hotels in Santa Fe. We used to love, but it's pricey, The Inn on the Alameda. Well located, good breakfast, charming. This time of year Santa Fe has the kind of winter beauty that will take your breath away. The sunsets are something else. So many good, but again, pricey, restaurants. Santacafe, Andiamo, Nellie's at the Inn at Loretto, The Compound, Geronimo (a bit over-rated) Texasgirl suggests the high road to Taos. Yes, Yes. Have lunch at Rancho de Chimayo. That part of the world will transport you to another time and place. Very romantic. There are good photos to take everywhere you look, just in how the shadows get cast at different times of day. Take a walk up Canyon Road and lunch at The Compound or if you don't want to spend that much: Celebrations. You will have a wonderful time. But be prepared to spend a bit more than usual.