Alaska - which cruise line and ship?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are thinking of doing a cruise (7-10 days) to Alaska, summer 2007. There are a number of cruise lines to choose from. Any experiences or tips for specific cruise lines or ships would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 12:07 PM

Start with itinerary, try to get a Glacier Bay itinerary. Right off the bat this will narrow down your choices, Princess and HAL control the large ship permits and both do a great job.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 06:49 PM

First decide where you want to fly into and out of. Some are one way say from Seattle / Vancouver to Seward and others are round trip Vancouver. I have done two one ways- Seward to Vancouver on the Summit(Celebrity Cruise Lines) and the Vision of the Seas (RCCL). If it justs adults, Celebrity would be my choice. With kids-Vision of the Seas. If you can, get a balcony.The views are unbelievable. ALso early season(May)or late(September) can provide substantial savings. We did the Summit in September for half price and it was incredible.I also have sailed with Norweigen Cruise Lines but do not recommend it. I have not sailed Princess but hear good thing from other people who have sailed them. I planned two trips for friends and one of them did the RCCL Navigator of the Seas, Vancouver roundtrip with kids and loved it.I personally could be cruising on a freighter and have good things to say because Alaska is heaven on earth.Hope this helps. Enjoy..
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 07:24 PM

Would definitely recommend Holland America. It specializes in Alaska and has good itineraries. If you have time, try to include some time on the mainland of Alaska, specifically Denali Park and Fairbanks.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 07:55 AM

For clairfication, there are no one way cruises from Seattle. I suggest you may want to first determine how much time and money you can inves?? If you can go for 2 weeks then a one way is a great opportunity with another week for interior Alaska touring. If you are only looking at a week, then my recommendation is a round trip Vancouver, with HAL having one of the best itineraries sailing both Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm.

Do your homework and work out your timing. I also agree Glacier Bay is not to be missed.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all advice! We are travelling with 2 kids (2 and 5 y.) and my parents. We are probably looking at a one week cruise and find something else to do in the US for another week (we are from Sweden). I will check out the cruises and cruiselines you have suggested. Thanks!