Alaskan Cruise only okay?

Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 03:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alaskan Cruise only okay?

Originally planning on Landtour then Princess cruise from Whittier to Vancouver. Now needing to cut the trip shorter... have only 8-9 nights... Is a cruise only (with possibly 1-2 nights in Vancouver - or Whittier) still a wonderful trip... OR should we wait until we're able to do it PROPERLY and do a 6 night land tour too? (We're also considering Yellowstone/Grand Teton area instead)
THANKS!
Lisa
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 04:49 AM

I would instead look at a round trip Vancouver but Princess doesn't offer this. Superior is HAL with Glacier. No it is hardly worth only 1-2 extra days from Whittier, unless you don't mind the long flights and higher costs. But you won't get farther than Anchorage area in that short timeframe. My opinion only, Princess land tours are lacking, way too much time in transit and them stacking you up in their lodges, some very isolated. Do your homework and understand FULLY what you are purchasing, a great many people do not. Another option if costs were a factor, you can do much more for significantly lower costs going on your own. You probably still could budget an independent 12 day Alaska trip for less than your 6 night add on.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

BudgetQueen... why a round trip instead of south or northbound? I'd really like to stick w/ Princess due to the fact that they are more teen-friendly and I really want Glacier Bay in the itinerary... why would a round trip be better? (Money is not an object)
Thanks,
Lisa
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 06:06 AM

For clairfication, Princess is not more teen friendly. You also need to expect way fewer kids on board compared to the Caribbean. The round trips have "double inside" passage sailing, so not a negative. Go one way if that is your choice, you get College fjords and Glacier Bay, a great choice. Just long flights in/out of Anchorage and needing to transfer your self to Whittier. Again easy. But I think once you are there, the bug will bite for a needed return. But I do give a big edge all the way around with HAL, superior deck viewing space, very nice layed out ships and still enough kids on board. There aren't the age distinctions that once were sailing Alaska. Similar on all lines with middle aged still being the majority, but all ages sailing.
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 11:04 AM

Yes, absolutely! That is a perfect trip IME.

I enjoyed my two one ways Seward to Vancouver much better than R/T Seattle and R/T Vancouver. It is a more scenic cruise IMO and I would recommend it highly.

There are plenty of families aboard these days in Alaska on all mass market lines. If you have teens, I would not recommend HAL. If you are looking for very casual, Carnival and NCL would work for you, though neither would be my choice.

I would sail Celebrity if you are looking for excellent food and service, Radisson if you have no kids and can afford it and RCI otherwise.

I have not sailed Princess in a while but have cruised extensively and on all major lines. Check out cruise.critic.com and learn about the styles offered by the individual lines and then decide.

Old Jun 24th, 2005, 05:10 AM

I disagree on the skip HAL with teens. There are kids sailing HAL as all the other lines and in my experience sailing Alaska on 5 different lines 11 times, HAL is superior to most others, with routing, smaller ships, superior deck viewing space and their sailing of College Fjords. Look at them all and make a list of your priorities. The more you know the better.
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 05:32 PM

I have done 5 one way trips on Princess and they were incredible and superior to my RT out of Vancouver trip. I love Glacier Bay and College Fiords and an extra hour on a plane to me is not a big deal in the scope of a trip. Since I have to fly half way around the country, what is an extra hour or two.

I have never regretted my one ways and would only do it this way in the future.

Old Jun 24th, 2005, 07:29 PM

We met many people that were on land tours in quite a few locations around Alaska during our recent 2 week trip, including while departing from Anchorage Airport. Not one of the dozens of people we talked to on various occasions had anything positive to say about the land tours. They all commented that they felt rushed, herded, limited by the strict schedule, discouraged when they found out how much more they were paying compared to other travelers, etc. This was especially interesting to us, as BudgetQueen, Repete, and others may remember, because we were booked for a land cruise ourselves, before--thanks to the advice of all you wonderful folks--we canceled it all to do an independent 2-week land tour ourselves (with a teen). We shared our experiences with the people we met on land tours, and every one--without fail--said they wished they'd have done it all on their own. They also expressed disappointment in the cruises--not so much in the cruise itself, but in how limited they were due to the vast number of people dumping into the small ports at one time. Definitely something to think about.
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 08:17 PM

We just returned from the Whittier - Vancouver cruise on the Sun Princess. Alaska is just breathtaking. Just remember to get beyond all the jewlery stores/tee shirt shops in the three ports.

I might recommend a day tour of Vancouver.