first cruise

Jun 23rd, 2005, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

first cruise

am taking first ever cruise in late august on celebrity mercury line,question is have bad knees and can't walk very much am i going to have trouble getting around??
ps to alaska
Jun 23rd, 2005, 09:16 AM

Many passengers are using scooters on board and there are wheelchairs available...but the bigger question is why go on a cruise...you would be better off landcruising in hotel and avoiding possible rough seas etc.
Jun 23rd, 2005, 10:17 AM

All modern ships are barrier free and very user friendly to those in wheel chairs, etc. They all have elevators. The only question I would have is are you willing to use a wheelchair? You did not say you now use one or state whether or not you would be willing to.

If you insist only on walking, then you will have to be careful. Distances can be quite an issue such as walking from your room to the dining room, theatre, etc.

As someone who works with many disabled I can safely say that if you'll be willing to use a wheelchair you'll have great access and mobility on this cruise. If you don't, you could be in for a disappointing time.

Finally, walking can be a bit more difficult on ships that are in open water as you must also balance more, etc. due to the movement of the ship on rougher water. Again, if you're in a wheelchair that's not an issue for you. And yes, electric scooters, etc. are commom place. The cruise line can tell you the specifics on what they can provide, what you can bring on board, etc.

If you have a more specific question, just post it here and I'll try to help.
Jun 23rd, 2005, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

hold
don't use a wheelchair at home am a little i guess vain about it feel people will look at me and think if she would lose weight she wouln't need a chair,however don't want to ruin cruise for my hubby what to do ??
Jun 24th, 2005, 06:20 AM

Again, as someone who works with the disabled on a daily basis I think I can safely say that if anyone looks down on you for using a wheelchair, then it is THEY who have the problem.

Having been on many cruises I know how much walking is involved, even if you never leave the ship. Imagine that you're in a mall and everytime you want to walk to the next store its at the other end of the mall. That's how much you'll walk as you leave your room and walk to dinner at night, to and from each meal, to and from each activity, etc.

Elevators will take you up and down various floors, but theres still a LOT of walking.

If you're uncomfortable using a chair, how about only using it to and from the various destinaitons on the ship? No rule says you have to sit in it at dinner, etc. Staff can fold it up and set it aside for you while you're at dinner, etc.

As you get to the various ports and (if) you want to get off to take a tour, the cruise lines are very good about grading each shore excursion according to walking, exercise, etc that is required. They will clearly explain how difficult each excursion is, so watch for that information before booking anything off the ship.

Hope this helps. In closing, I don't want you to go on the trip and not enjoy Alaska because you're stuck in the room. Only you know what your abilities are, but please don't let pride or what someone else might think ruin you chances at a wonderful trip.
Jun 24th, 2005, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

hold.thank you for the responce about wheelchair
,makes me feel a little better about using it now do i reserve one now or wait till i get to ship??mary
Jun 24th, 2005, 11:35 AM

Call your Travel agent and/or the cruiseline.
Most of them you have to bring your own.
I wouldn't wait until I boarded for anything as there are at least 2,000 people on the ship all needing things and what you need may be gone by then.

Have fun
Jun 25th, 2005, 12:35 AM

You may want to rent one before you go from an outside source and bring it with you. I know that may sound annoying and like overkill, but if you do it that way it is possible insurance will pay for it. Also, you mention being a larger person - and you may therefore need a larger wheelchair - they may not have these.

But check with cruiseline, of course.