Search

Wheelchair staterooms

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheelchair staterooms

Hi:
We're planning a cruise for this fall (not booked yet) and need a wheelchair accessible cabin. Does anyone have any experience with these? Are they truly accessible, washrooms/shower etc.?
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 09:06 AM

I can't answer your question, but I can give you a little direction. If you go to www.cruisecritic.com, on their message boards there is specific board for questions relating to travelers with disabilities. The reason I suggest this is that the answer to your question is going to depend on which cruiseline you choose and you will find folks on that board who have sailed them all. Also, a complaint that comes up frequently is that the cruiselines do not specifically hold accessible rooms for people who need them - it is something of a first come, first served situation. If someone is unethical enough to claim an accessible room and doesn't need one - nobody checks to see that they do. For that reason, you may well find that you want to book as soon as possible as there aren't a lot of accessible rooms on the ship in the first place. Happy cruising!
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 09:45 AM

At least on HAL, the wheelchair rooms are great. Everyhing was flat with wide doors. Roll in shower, etc., and this was in the lowest price cabin available.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 03:12 AM

We are not handicapped but have had handicapped cabins on Princess and Carnival. (We book VERY last minute and did not ask for but were given these cabins.We were told they won't book these cabins if you don't need one until 60 days before the cruise.) Everything is flat including the shower which is huge. There are grab bars in the bathroom and the shower has a fold down chair. The cabins we had were inside, both on deck 9, the pool and buffet deck. The cabin was bigger than regular cabins with a lot of floor space. The ships themselves were wheelchiar accessable. The only problem would be tendering to a port as getting on the tender would need someone to lift the wheelchair if the peson could not walk. There is usually crew who can help on the gangway in port. I have seen a lot of people in wheelcheers or scooters on ships. But the new ships are better able to handle wheelchairs. I've been told Holland America really caters to this but have not been on any of her ships -as they cater to older passengers and we want life at night on a cruise! Don't hesitate to cruise. Don't hesitate to bok a cruise but beware, you'll be hooked on cruising!
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 03:07 PM

Hey, I just got a room on the fantasy out of new orleans, it is a regular room and the only thing different which is great is that the entrance to the bathroom flat so you don't have to step up or anything you can wheel yourself in there and the toilet is higher to. when you dod all of this after you confirm your cruise they email you a form about the wheelchair and any other medicines you may take. I was so happy to hear that because my mom can't step up that high anymore. So this is great and they only have a few rooms but you want to confirm that room right then and there. Our room is on the empress deck of the carnival cruise line, cruise ship the Fantasy.

enjoy, Liz
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 08:57 AM

every year i take a group of wheelchair bound persons on a Carnival cruise, the newer ships are EXTREMELY w/c friendly. i have also been on royal carib. and did not find the same. bathrooms are larger and you can roll in, and transfer. one balcony we had even had a ramp. don't hesitate. doorways are wide. they have fewer accessible bathrooms tho' out of the rooms, but they can be found. the ones by the pool are not accessible, altho close by the pool, in the dining area they are