Alaska Trip Sept 14-19

Search

Alaska Trip Sept 14-19

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alaska Trip Sept 14-19

Flying to Anchorage to stay with friends and trying to plan my 4 short days. Thinking of doing a cruise out of Seward and having difficulty with arranging transportation, seems like all the buses stop service by 9/12. Any suggestions? If necessary we will stay one night in Seward. Any recommendations of inexpensive but safe and comfortable accomodations?
Thanks so much.
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 11:44 AM

Safety isn't an issue in Seward, but inexpensive is a pretty relative term -- especially given the range of big spenders and budget travelers on this board. You can get the brand new Holiday Inn Express for about $125 during much of Sept and the older motels are much less. B&B's might be an option, too.

As for getting there, rent a car in Anchorage. Enterprise has cars during that stretch for under $20 per day -- cheaper than the bus fare would be and a lot more fun because you can stop along the way.
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 09:59 AM

The Holiday Inn in Seward has a coupon in the Toursaver book (2 nights for the price of one). It's brand new and looked packed when I was there last week. I couldn't use the Toursaver coupon because other travelers had used up the alloted rooms.
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 11:33 AM

I agree with repete about renting a car. You will want to stop along the way and enjoy the scenery. We particularly liked Portage Glacier, the visitor's center, and the various pullouts. In Seward, we stayed in the Ballaine House, a B&B w/a great location and very nice landlady. Even in July it was $100/night, including all taxes.
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 07:53 AM

Be also aware that the Kenai Fjords boat trips wildlife is in transition, no sea birds- puffins and a colder sailing. As for a "day" trip you can take the rail road and catch the 11:30am boat tour and be back in time for the 6pm train. This is far from ideal and not what I would recommend unless necessary. Best is to rent the car and see the Seward Highway at your pace.