Look for suggestion on 8 days in Alaska with rental car

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2010, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We (couple) will fly to Anchorage on June 12 afternoon and departure from Anchorage on June 19, 10 PM. We are the first time be Alaska. We are interested in scenery, photography, and wildlife. We planed the first three days as:
Jun 12, Anchorage
arrive hotel in downtown afternoon, take a walk around town.
Any suggestion on what to see and where to eat ?
Jun 13, Anchorage to Denali national park
rent a car in the morning and drive to Denali National park , overnight at Princess Lodge.
Where I should stop for sightseeing or tour?
Jun 14, one day in park
We are going to take early morning park shuttle bus. Should Eielson visitor center is far enough or further to Wonder Lake (too much bugs?)? Do you know either one will stop at Stony Hill Overlook? Any one knows middle size rent car can drive on SR 8 (grave road)? If we take SR 8 east to highway 4, what to see the other side. Then If we still have time to Seward and take one day cruise to see sea animal and glacier? Which cruising you recommended. Any hotel/motel suggestion around Seward area?

Thanks in advance,
Ann

We look for suggestion on the rest of the week. From what I read
Old May 9th, 2010, 06:22 PM

Girdwood/Seward/Kenai

Maybe take the train to Seward
maybe fish somewhere along the way
Old May 9th, 2010, 07:10 PM

Take the highway from Anchorage to Valdez. It's 300 miles of the most beautiful scenery you have ever seen. Stop in Glen Allen (1/2 way) and spend the night. Northern lights there are AWESOME. Continue on to Valdez watching for Horseshoe Falls on the way. Watch out for the moose. Once in Valdez be sure to travel up Mineral Creek (Take a Jeep) and see the Glacier. Take a charter boat to a little fishing village called Tititlik. Enjoy!
Old May 9th, 2010, 08:24 PM

Where I should stop for sightseeing or tour?

Talkeetna is interesting, in a "Northern Exposure" way. Also if it's clear and McKinley is visible you could try to do a flight-seeing trip from Talkeetna, if you can score a ride on short notice.

Do you know either one (bus) will stop at Stony Hill Overlook?

Yes, if it is clear so you can see McKinley the busses stop at Stony. You can always just ask to be let off and catch the next bus with space if you want to stay in a particular spot or hike a bit.

Should Eielson visitor center is far enough or further to Wonder Lake (too much bugs?)?

You can buy a ticket to Eielson and then once you get there if you want to extend to WL you can pay the difference at the ticket window at Eielson. So you can wait and decide that day.

The extra 25 miles or so are scenic if it's clear, but WL has more mosquitos than any other place I've been in Alaska.

Any one knows middle size rent car can drive on SR 8 (grave road)?

Most rental car company contracts specify that you CAN NOT take their cars on SR 8 (Denali Highway). The first part is paved and OK, but after about 20 miles it gets rougher. People do this drive anyway regardless of the contract but if something goes wrong you'll pay.

You might check with the companies in advance, it's possible some of them might allow this.

Any hotel/motel suggestion around Seward area?

We've stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Seward (try to get a view of the harbor instead of the parking lot), which is pretty new and has a free breakfast.
Old May 12th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for your very kind of suggestions and advises.
We will most likely take your suggestion go to Valdez after visit Denali National park. We will stay one night at Copper Center and two or three nights at Valdez. I assume that Seward is similar to Valdez and Seward may be more commercialized than Valdez since it is much closer to Anchorage.
Old May 16th, 2010, 07:01 AM

NO Seward and Valdez are not similar. To make the most out of this location, I highly recommend a day trip to McCarthy and Kennicott, then taking the FERRY to Whittier, rather than back tracking. I only take the "regular" ferry, and not the fast ferry. Far more scenic.

As mentioned, it is a poor choice to consider the Denali Highway, also going this early it will not be fully graded, and rental contracts and insurances generally void this.
Old May 28th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Hi BudgetQueen,
If we take regular ferry to Whittier, is it still neccessary to take a day cruise in Valdez or Seward?
Now I am also struggle to choose Seward or Valdez, or both. Which one you thing is better. If we take day cruise which one should be good choice?
I will take your advice to avoid Denali Highway. We only rent standard size car, which do you think we can drive to McCarthy and Kennicott?

We will leave in two weeks.
Ann
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 05:23 AM

Sorry, there is NO comparism to any boat tour and the ferry.

No you won't be driving to Kennicott/McCarthy either. Either look at booking the shuttle, or fly in. You can NOT drive there with rental cars.

All these touring choices are good, YOU need to decide for yours for yourself.