Search

Alaska travel - My perspective

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2003, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alaska travel - My perspective

Hi folks,

For those of you that don't know, I live, work, and play in Alaska. Not only is it my home, but, it is my favorite place to vacation.

Peridically I like to participate in these forums to answer a few questions, present some ideas, get a visitor's perspective, and, of course, share some of the experiences I've had here in the Great Land.

With that, I'd like to make a few recommendations to people who may be considering a trip to Alaska.

#1. Don't let a tourist be your guide.

This is just good advice regardless of where you vacation. But, in the travel industry, there are many national and international companies that move in and out of seasonal destinations. Granted, they will show you much of the same scenery, but, they cannot provide you with an Alaskan experience. More often, they misrepresent the state, it's people, and, their own motives.

#2. Shop, shop, shop and shop.

Figure out what you are looking for, and then evaluate the options and values.

As an example, and something you've seen in the forum, bear viewing is very popular in Alaska. But, there are in fact, different types of viewing experiences. Some might prefer McNeil or Brooks Falls where they can go to a viewing platform and watch bears catch fish in mid air. Others might prefer to take their chances on a bus ride into Denali. Others might like something more personal and unique like hiking up a spawning stream with a local guide on Kodiak.

#3. Create a dialogue with your perspective hosts.

Many people assume that all of their "stupid questions" tax the representative in question. But, nothing could be further from the truth. Especially in the travel industry...... Most Alaskan's can think of little they enjoy more than sharing little bits of insight with our guests. So, by engaging them in conversation, you are not only getting your questions answered, but, you are providing them with a truly enjoyable experience.

#4. Enjoy your trip!

Note to cruise passengers: When the ship's Naturalist opens the floor to Q & A, you might consider asking them how many fines they paid last year for exceding State and Federal mandates. It is a sad irony that these floating cities advertise the experience of a cruise in the pristine, unspoiled and natural wilderness even as they pour your waste into OUR waters and air.

Sounds harsh, but it is true. Sad and true.

Old Mar 11th, 2003, 12:21 PM

Ah that last one is a very good point, akvisnet. The same holds true for the cruise ships in the Carribean. Some of them seem to continue the practice feeling it is cheaper for them to pay an occassional fine when they are caught (as they sometimes are) than it is to hold and dispose of the waste and trash the way they are supposed to.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Patrick,

There has been a very mysterious decline in the sea lion populations of Prince William Sound over the last 15 years or so. Up to 70% decline by some estimates.

Of course, some are always going to point to the Exxon Valdez as being the principal scapegoat for all negative impacts in the region.

Some blame over fishing and depletion of their sustanence.

Either reason could be legit, but, other possibilities exist.

Climatically speaking, the planet has been on a warming trend since the ice age.

Nature tends to deal populations in cycles, and, with larger animals you might expect these cycles to last longer than with smaller species.

There may be excessive predation from whales, sharks, and even humans...regardless of the Marine Mammal Act.

Perhaps Alaska waters have received a parasite that hitchhiked on any of the many tankers, or cargo ships that are involved in international trade...

And, in my mind, it could be a compilation of all of these things. But, before we close the books on the story, let's also consider that there has been a 600% increase in cruise traffic during the same window of time.

Grey water, photo labs, sewage and fecal bacteria, wet garbage such as left over foods etc.......Alas, according to the cruise industry, they don't dump this stuff at all. Well, until they're caught.....EVERY year.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 03:56 PM

akvisnet, those are alarming facts you point out. Is there any site that you know of that names names? And lets people know which, if any, cruiselines ARE environmentally responsible?
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 04:26 PM

I think the cruise ships have a lot to do with it. The Florida Keys had beautiful, healthy coral reefs until the cruise ships started coming in. Now the fish life is way down and whole species have vanished, and the coral is bleached out and dying.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 05:45 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Alaska DEC has an ongoing inspection program for greywater and blackwater (you can probably figure out the differences) discharges from cruise ships (as well as smaller ships, including the State ferries). You can see which cruise ships have advanced wastewater treatment facilities and which don't at http://www.state.ak.us/local/akpages/ENV.CONSERV/press/cruise/pdf/midseasonreport.pdf

Generally most illegal discharges occur in the areas where it's hard to spot them because of currents, tidal action or other dispersal factors. Discharges in Dixon Entrance, for example, would be very hard to pin down, as would discharges in the Strait of Juan de Fuca - on the boundary between Canada and the US, and in the case of the Strait, probably hard to distinguish from partially treated discharges from the whole city of Victoria.

It's tough science, and I'd hesitate to scapegoat any one factor.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 09:42 PM
Original Poster

Molly,

There are untold amount of newspaper articles and web postings regarding the intrusiveness of the cruise industry. A simple search of "cruise pollution fines" will likely return more results than you can imagine.

I am not aware of any cruise line that deserves a round of applause for leading the industry in accountability. Though, they like to talk about "strides" they are taking for the planet, such progress is usually the result of forced compliance.....It's just hard to advertise, "We only do what we are made to do."

Pollution is not the only dirty little secret of the cruise industry.

Several years ago, after the Federal Building bombing in Oklahoma, the airports began to ask, "Have your bags been out of your possession in the last 24 hours?"

The people you never see on a cruise ship are the ones handling your luggage. It is not uncommon for them to be from the Third World. In Alaska, specifically the Seward - Anchorage connection, this represents a real threat as your bags are loaded onto a train car that runs non-stop to the airport.

Or, we could discuss their foreign registries to escape US taxation.

Or, the "economy" they create for the state...even as they charge 20% and more to local vendors for their referrals.

I'd like to continue this discussion, but the forum may not be the right place for it as it degresses into politics and $$ everytime the cruise lines are mentioned in Alaska.

Rule #1. Don't let a toursist be your guide........ it's a solution.
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 04:45 AM

My husband and I are planning a trip through the inside passage to Alaska in 2004, so this subject is of great interest to me.

I looked up the site Gardyloo mentioned, and was appalled to find that the World Explorer line, the line we are seriously considering if they get back on their feet {they suspended operations for 2003}, received a warning for emitting black-water.

I didn't fully understand all of the technical jargon, but it appeared that the larger Holland America line was more in compliance than some of the smaller lines; this surprised me. No cruise line, as akvisnet commented, deserved any awards in environmental accountability. The ferry lines {and I may be wrong here} didn't come out shining either.

Personally, the idea of taking a huge cruise ship to Alaska does not appeal, but the smaller vessels may not be an improvement.

What is a concerned visitor to do?
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 06:30 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Molly, I don't want to politicize this thread either, nor do I want to discount the importance of everyone, not just the cruise lines, paying attention to what happens when you flush the toilet.

But we do need to keep things in perspective. The Pacific Ocean, including the Inside Passage, Prince William Sound, and other bodies, is a cold, deep, enormous body of water. The currents, tides, and churning of all this water occur on a scale that none of us can imagine. If 50 cruise ships each discharged 50,000 gallons of wastewater daily, that would be 2 1/2 million gallons of wastewater a day, which equals around 335,000 cubic feet of water. That sounds like a bunch, but consider that a one-mile by one-mile by 300 foot deep stretch of the Inside Passage, say, contains over 836 million cubic feet of water, and the inside passage is maybe 600 miles long depending on how you measure it.

That's a great deal of dilution, and that's just in one square mile of surface. Of course, if ten cruise ships dump 50,000 gallons of wastewater all at the same time in, say, Gastineau Channel, well, sure, it will be terrible.

But the cruise lines are not stupid, they know the Alaska, BC and Washington State authorities are on to them, and they don't want kill the Golden Goose. And quite frankly, with the international mobility of the ships in cruise industry, and the all-seeing eye of the European Union present, I frankly expect all the ships will presently be retrofitted with wastewater cleansing gear that will meet the discharge standards for the Mediterranean, which in the future, and now in some cases, will be way, way more stringent than Alaska's or BC's. The Med is already in a pickle (not nearly as much "flushing" as the Pacific, thanks to Gibraltar) and the density of cruise and commercial ships in those waters is lots higher than Alaska. The lines will have to build for the worst case, which will likely be Europe.

Akvisnet's right in that passengers should query their cruise lines about environmental policies. The travel agents might not know anything, but they can ask the industry reps, and so on up the chain, until all the lines, not just a few, see this as a means of attracting business rather than losing money.
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Molly,

Rule #2 Shop, shop, shop and shop.

We all effect the environment, and I do not want to come off here as an extremist or alarmist. But to be sure, everything we do, including using our pcs, has an impact.

The key is to strike a reasonable balance between getting what we want, and being mindfull for posterity's sake.

The Inside Passage is certainly something to be seen. Much of this in Alaska can be accomplished on the local level with liesure craft and day cruises. But, that cuts a major piece of the trip along the Canadian Coast out. And, having travelled the Inside Passage myself, I can assure you the the scenery along the coast is phenomenal. So, I can't say that I have any solid answers for you. Not wanting you to miss that portion of the trip.

All I can hope for is that you weigh all factors .... who is notoriously out of compliance, who is going to benefit from your purchase, who abides US standards and taxation, who employs the most/least potential terrorists, etc., etc....

I do not want to talk you out of a trip. Far from it! As I mentioned, we love our visitors here. I just want to encourage our guests to shop, consider their options, and, hopefully, make choices that are based facts and not on glossy magazine advertising.

Old Mar 12th, 2003, 08:52 AM

akvisnet and gardyloo have given me, and I'm certain others, much to think about. I will definitely be asking questions before booking anything. Ever so much easier to turn a blind eye to what's going on beyond the glossy ads......... {sigh}!