Reload this Page >

Old Town or Gaslamp?

Search

Old Town or Gaslamp?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2003, 12:22 PM
blpar

Old Town or Gaslamp?

Really, which area is most convenient to be in? I'd like to use the trolley or walk for the first day or two. Some posts say the Gaslamp has some unsavory characters at night. Thanks!

Old Mar 8th, 2003, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(Presuming you mean San Diego, California)

Tell us more about your comfort level in cities. The heart of Gaslamp gets pretty busy with people and is quite safe. You might run into a few homeless people a few blocks from the heart - they are probably harmless. Where I live (Portland) you get hit up for change all the time by homeless people downtown but I feel perfectly safe walking around there. Some people not used to the city might not feel so safe - probably afraid they'll get mugged or something (doubt it).

I don't know Old Town, but Gaslamp does seem very convenient to all the trendy downtown restaurants. I think if you use common sense and care when walking around - walk through well-lit areas and know where you are (keep a map so you don't get lost), you will be fine.

Andrew
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 12:48 PM
blpar

Yes, San Diego. We are planning on staying at the Holiday Inn Express in Old Town, but localwally.com suggested the Gaslamp district to me today. It will be my daughter (21) and me. Will the Old Town location be okay or should I book something in the Gaslamp area? How about the Gaslamp Plaza Suites?

Old Mar 8th, 2003, 01:25 PM

blpar, what do you like to do on vacation? What's your style? Do you like to walk around at night? Stroll along sidewalks crowded with people? That's what Gaslamp is at the heart - lots of people, lots of restaurants and such within walking. Close to the trolley. If that doesn't appeal to you, don't stay in Gaslamp - you're going to pay extra to stay there.

I haven't been in Old Town for a while, not sure it offers the same feel as Gaslamp (doubt it). Probably a lot quieter though there's still some stuff to walk to I think. If you're just looking for someplace central, both Gaslamp and Old Town are good locations, not a far drive from anything. For some Hotel Circle - hopelessly dull off the freeway - is all that they need: a place to crash before driving to the next vacation spot. The walking thing doesn't appeal to some - all they'll do is drive anyway.

Andrew
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 01:25 PM

I think that you will have a lot more fun in the gaslamp district. Personally I enjoy Old Town and the shops and restaurants, especially Old Town Mexican Cafe for their carnitas and fresh tortillas. There is a wonderful, upscale seafood restaurant across the street form the OTMC whose name is escaping me right now, but it is also exquisite, although I haven't been there in awhile. Also the kitchen store and bakery (you must have a fresh churro there) in the Casa De Pico square area. The gaslamp district will provide you with a lot more variety for restaurants, shopping and a more central location if you don't want to rely on a car.
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 01:26 PM

I'd stay near the Gaslamp Quarter rather than by Old Town. Although Old Town is great during the day, there is more to do at night in the Gaslamp. Also, the Gaslamp is closer to Seaport Village, Balboa Park and other things. You can take the trolley from downtown to Old Town pretty easily.
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 01:40 PM
blpar

Yes, we do like to walk. The majority seems to favor staying in the Gaslamp area, but which hotel? Nightlife isn't a priority.

Old Mar 8th, 2003, 08:01 PM

My vote is for the Marriott, they have a great location,nice pool, light rail is just across the street and you can walk along Seaport Village which is behind the hotel. Their rates are somewhat high though since they are next to the convention center. I absolutly loved staying there, so much to keep you busy and everything else is a short drive away.
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 04:37 AM

An unsolicited food tip, Sally's at the Hyatt was unbelievable for dinner. Best crab cakes in the world! Food, service, atmosphere were all top of the line. Not cheap, but fantastic.
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 06:47 AM

We'll be staying at the Hotel del for my conference. We'll have a car, but I hate driving around big cities at nite. Anyone have any idea of what a cab would be from the Hotel del to Gaslamp district????
Frank
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 08:32 AM

fjs08, I don't think you're going to find San Diego to seem much like a "big city". Compared to Boston and New York City, driving in San Diego is positively a cake walk. There is paid parking right in the heart of Gas Lamp - just drive in, park, and walk, I say.

Andrew
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 04:11 PM

I vote for the Gaslamp District - there's much more "going on" in that area.
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 12:03 AM

Just returned from the Gaslamp (literally, today) and if you have a 21 year old daughter, that would be the place to go to entertain her. Many of the restaurants also double as clubs so there are a lot of young people out on Saturday night....any night, for that matter. The stores on 4th and 5th Avenues also stay open much later. As I am too old to go clubbing, I found Sunday morning a fab time to wander around the area to find breakfast--it's all good stuff!
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 04:35 AM
blpar

Melissahi;
Where did you stay? I'm having a hard time finding a room (trying to stay under $160 a night). Have res. at the Courtyard Marriott downtown on Broadway. Is the location okay? How was the weather? Do you need to dress up for any restaurants in SD? Thanks, Blpar

Old Mar 10th, 2003, 06:52 AM
ltt

driving in san diego is very easy. cabs are very expensive. there is ferry from downtown to coronado. then if you like biking, rent a bike to get around.
most san diego restaurants are pretty casual when it comes to dress. go eat at the casual anthony's on pacific coast drive on at the harbour.
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 07:35 AM

We stayed at the Embassy Suites in Seaport near the Gaslamp District and took the trolly to Old Town. We thought this was a terrific location.
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 08:31 AM

We stayed in Old Town and absolutely loved it.
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 08:41 AM
blpar

Kalmia; I have the Holiday Inn Express in Old Town, Marriott Courtyard and Ramada St. James in Gaslamp tentatively booked. Most people suggest Gaslamp; what did you like about Old Town? Did you use the trolley?

Old Mar 10th, 2003, 09:08 AM

The Courtyard Marriott on Broadway is a good hotel. It was recently (3ish years ago) turned into a hotel (was a bank) and has some very cool old style bank features in the lobby. Also, it's only about a block away from the beginning of the Gaslamp quarter.

To the person who asked about cab fare from the Del to Gaslamp - not sure but another option would be to go from the del to the ferry landing, take that over to downtown and walk or take one of those pedicabs as far into Gaslamp as you want to go.
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 09:45 AM
blpar

What is a "pedicab"? Marriott Courtyard can't give us a non-smoking room, so looks like we'll go with the Ramada Gaslamp. One plus of Ramada is 24 hour airport shuttle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -