Alaska, Seldovia or Halibut Cove

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2004, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question about Seldovia or Halibut Cove trips out of Homer.
Would it be repetitive to do both? Or if we can only do one, which would be the best.
We won't be fishing, we are just looking for beautiful scenery and something a little unique.
Thanks
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 10:34 AM

Defintely Halibut Cove over Seldovia.
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 12:18 PM

Halibut Cove is lovely! Go there!
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 06:54 AM

We went to Seldovia on the Boardwalk Hotel package in late June. We had great weather and a nice boat ride over. It was considered a nature cruise with narrations which we enjoyed even though we had just been on a 9 1/2 hour Kenai Fjords trip. The hotel is decent with a very friendly hostess and we enjoyed meals at the Tidal Pool (there wasn't much else to choose from since the Mad Fish closed). We did not take a recommended hike which we should have done to take up some time. Seldovia is very small and unique. Our package plan included a flight see over a glacier to return to Homer. It was only a half hour flight but probably the highlight of the trip. The day had started out foggy so we almost missed this. Another party were facing a long drive back to Anchorage and were about to take the boat back instead. We were supposed to leave at 11am but didn't get to go until about 1:30pm so we spent some time napping in the livingroom and chatting with other guests. We met some people who thought an afternoon in Seldovia was more than enough. You can probably take the same flight seeing trip with Smokey Bay Air in Homer. We didn't spend as much time in Homer as I would have liked since there is so much to do so if you are short on time I would recommend just taking the flight and skipping Seldovia. My husband and I ended up returning to Homer on another day so we could visit some shops, the Pratt Museum and take the wonderful drive that overlooks the town. There is a new wildlife center that hadn't opened yet. On a future trip I would plan to spend several days in Homer even though we don't fish.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone for the replies. Sounds like we'll go to Halibut Cove.