Search

Alaska RV Trip

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2006, 12:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alaska RV Trip

Ariving Anchorage 8/25/06 and renting Rv from Great Alaskan Holidays and leaving 9/8/06. Plan to spend some time in Danali before Labor day but need advive from you folks about where to go next. We are flexible because as they say "we will return"
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 03:11 AM

I would consider heading south first, spend a couple days each in Seward and Homer. Then at least 2 in Denali Park, add a night in Talkeetna perhaps?
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 03:33 AM

BudgetQueen suggested a great and very doable itinerary, but I would reverse it a little and go to Denali and Talkeetna first, then head to Seward, Homer and back to Anchorage where I feel anyone visiting Alaska should stay at least one night in the beginning or the end of your trip.

My suggestion is to #1 get the Milepost, #2 do search here on this forum under Alaska, Seward, Homer, Denali and Talkeetna. Then make a list of things you would like to do, consult with all members of your party and finally make choices. Keep in mind that Alaska is mostly about outdoor activities but do include Native Heritage Center and Museum of History and Art in Anchorage to get acquainted with culture and history of this wonderful state.
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 07:15 PM

The best thing I did was purchase: Traveler's Guide to Alaskan Camping: Explore Alaska and the Yukon with RV or Tent (Traveler's Guide series) (Paperback) from Amazon.com. Their reviews and suggestions were right on the money. And since you are renting from Great Alaskan Holidays, pay for the additional insurance and take a ride across the Denali Highway. Do it after the Park so the side trip doesn't take anything away from the trip thru the park. And by the way, yes we did suffer a crack windshield in the RV, not from the Denali Highway but the interstate thru Anchorage. It didn't cost any additional fees at the end. Just to let you know, we got 10 mpg in the 30 ft motorhome, so plan accordingly.

Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 03:39 AM

Do you think you might go to the Alaska State Fair in Palmer? We haven't been but we've attended other events in AK.
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 04:23 AM
z

Please, dfrostnh, tell me what is so special about State Fair in Palmer? As any fair you go there to be with crowds, to inhale cigarette smoke, to hear and watch kids screaming on carnival rides and additionally pay for concerts of some groups you never heard of before. Sure, I would like to see display of gigantic vegetables grown in Alaska but is it worthy to pay $10.00 per person? I would like to go if it wasn't for a mad rowdy atmosphere? Is there another place where one can see beautiful huge vegetables without paying admission and in more peaceful surroundings?
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 06:56 AM

DH and I returned July 3rd from 6 weeks vacation to Alaska. We also drove, but drove our car. We started out in Fairbanks, and then left went to Denali and took a tour through the park, saw Mt McKinley in its full beauty, and to many wildlife to even begin to mention. We went to Talkeetna it is rather cool, but we had been to Nenana which is near to Fairbanks and much prefered it. We then went to Anchorage, nothing much there to do, except the museum is worth seeing. I strongly recommend Seward. The drive from Anchorage there is out of this world. Did not go to Homer, alot of people really rant and rave about down there, but afew of our friends who took the long drive down said it was no more beautiful than spending those days in and around Seward. And I recommend Whittier and the 26 Glacier tour. That to me was the best. There is a great Air and Transportation Museum in Wisilla which would be on the Parks Highway on your way down to Anchorage that is excellent.
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 07:52 AM

I think it would be a shame to get on the upper peninsula and miss out on what Homer has to offer. True, Seward has the boat tours and Exit Glacier, but once you arrive there, there is limited activity to explore. The Sealife Center is okay, a little overpriced for what they offer.
Homer has miles of road to drive and see not only numerous bay and glacier views, but the spit, to camp/dine on, the Ocean visitor center, boat tours across the bay to unique artistic communities, even blueberry picking in Seldovia, many nice restaurants and cafes and some great manageable fishing spots.
My two cents as a resident of the peninsula. Enjoy your travels, J.
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 09:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice.We are departing for our trip in a couple of days.I will post a report when we return.God speed to you all.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 04:40 AM

Sorry, I hadn't noticed Z's question about the state fair before. There are probably other places to see giant vegetables but I like fairs. We usually avoid the midways but pay close attention to things like 4-H exhibits. We've attended one event at the fairgrounds in Palmer but it was much smaller and low-key. The setting is beautiful and the weather was hot and clear. I really liked all the "fair food" at Girdwood's Forest Fair which was a lot different than what I'm used to at home. One of our strategies for visiting a fair is to go as early as possible, maybe have breakfast and visit the animal barns before the exhibit halls open. It's quieter before the midway starts.
I had hoped someone who has been to the Alaska fair would describe their experience. What they liked, didn't like.