Search

Alaska Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2005, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alaska Itinerary

I'd really appreciate any comments on the following August, 2006 itinerary for my husband, 12 year-old son and myself (and also any suggestions for cabins/lodging around $125-150/night)

8/4 Fly Delta MCI-ANC Departing 2:28pm, Arriving 9:13pm. Overnight Anchorage.

8/5 Rent car and drive 2 ½ hrs to Seward for 3 nights.
Alaska SeaLife Center
Exit Glacier Tour (3:00-5:00)

8/6 Kenai Fjords National Park Tour (10:00-6:30) includes lunch and dinner on Fox Island

8/7 Guided Sea Kayaking and Wilderness Dog Sled Ride

8/8 Fishing, Drive to Talkeetna 4 ½ hrs. Overnight Talkeetna.

8/9 Drive to Denali, 2 ½ hrs, for 3 nights.

8/10 Take regular shuttle with Denali and go to Wonder Lake (11hrs rt) definitely need to get tickets in advance. Can get off and take another bus back. Go about every 15 minutes. Can drive to mile 15 and take wonderful Savage River trail for 3 miles one way. Fish Creek 8 hr rt, Kantishna Wilderness Trails Tour (6:45AM-7:00PM)

8/11 Mountain Bike
Nenana Gorge Raft Trip (12:00-4:00) Don’t need to purchase in advance.

8/12 Drive to Fairbanks, 2 hrs.
Stay at Aurora Express? Riverboat Cruise

8/13 Depart FAI 12:35PM
Old Nov 26th, 2005, 08:56 PM

It looks like a good itinerary except that Seward-Talkeetna will almost surely take longer than 4.5 hours. Even if you drive without stopping, you have to drive through Anchorage. I would plan for at least 5 hours plus stops. If Anchorage traffic is bad, which it sometimes is, it could take longer.

You will probably also want to make stops for sightseeing or photographing on the leg between Seward and Anchorage. It is seriously scenic.
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 03:33 AM

I agree with dwooddon that you need to allow extra time for the drive to Seward. August 5 is a Saturday so I would make a visit to the Anchorage Farmers Market before heading to Seward. A chance to try some smoked salmon and other food vendors. Maybe plan to be in Girdwood for lunch and take the tram ride? The Alyeska Blueberry Festival in Girdwood is August 6. I have not been to that but greatly enjoyed the Forest Fair in July (music, food, arts and crafts). In checking the calendar I see a Great Alaska Salmon Bake and Fly By in Anchorage sometime in August. I couldn't find any specific dates but it might be very interesting for vintage aircraft enthusiasts. We took the longest tour out of Seward in hopes of seeing calving glaciers. If you are doing the Fox Island stop, I don't think there's time enough to go as far as the glaciers. I would double-check on that. You can have lunch on the boat. I would break up the drive to Talkeetna with a stop someplace, probably a side trip to Independence Mine. A stop at Iditarod Headquarters might not be very exciting after the Wilderness Dog Sled Ride but when we visited one August, one of the Reddington grandsons was introducing puppies to visitors. If one of the grandchildren is still doing this, it might be a good opportunity for your son to talk to someone near his age about taking care of the dogs. You and your family might also enjoy following the Iditarod race in March to learn more about the dogs and mushers. In addition to the official website, I like the daily updates on the website that is sponsored by Cabela. Anchorage sprawls to the north but once you get past Wasilla, there aren't many places to stop.
Looks like you have planned a great trip!
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the replies! I'll take your advice and will do some of the things dfrostnh suggested.
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 03:21 AM

And, just my suggestion, you are taking the shortest Kenai Fjords boat trip a big negative in my opinion, if you want wildlife and extensive glacier viewing. I would never consider less than 6 hours on the water myself. If you care to here are some Kenai fjords photos, none within the short tour. http://community.webshots.com/user/budgetqueen

Also, I do not recommend purchasing Wonder Lake shuttle tickets in advance. ALL buses have 35% of their seats held back that are released 2 days before. I would be on top of the significant potential bug problems that are at Wonder Lake, you may be in for a horrific day and in that case, I would only go to Fish Creek. UNLESS you plan on taking full strength deet and bug nets. Wildlife also isn't as significant between Fish Creek and Wonder Lake, no where near the numbers. I never recommend Kantishna as a day trip, only with an overnight. With the high cost, essentially you are paying only for a costly meal, you have essentially no time for much else on the day trips.

Are you interested in B&B's plenty of very nice ones available. But for some "real" Alaska, consider the Talkeetna Roadhouse, upstairs rooms only. Shared spotless bath, but a great experience and definate top choice for breakfast.

I agree, allow more time for Seward /Talkeetna, and do see some of Anchorage, a very worthwhile city with plenty to see and do. You can combine your two days of Exit Glacier, Sea life center, Seavey's sled dod and Kayaking with a Kenai Fjords boat trip into 2 days perhaps, I would recommend either Kayaking at Fox Island if you continue to go there, or go on an 11:30am- 5:30 am trip and do something in the am.