National parks in Arizona/Utah

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning a trip in Arizona and Utah in an RV.

I am planning to see the following places (from Las Vegas back to Las Vegas):

1. Grand Canyon
2. Monument Valley
3. Bryce Canyon
4. Zion National Park

For each one
- is it really good ? must see ?
- out of the 4, if you had to drop one, which one would it be ?
- is there anything big I am missing ?
- would you do it differently ?

Thanks very much in advance for your advice !!

Guillaume
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 05:24 PM

When are you going? How many days/nights?
Please give us a few more details about your trip.
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 06:15 PM
cmt

I very recently visited #1, 3, and 4 for the first time. To answer your questions: Yes, really really good, and I wouldn't drop any of them!

The only thing I would suggest is that if you're not used to somewhat high altitudes, it might be good to avoid starting with the park that has highest elevation. If you work your way up to the highest, you probably won't feel the latitude at all.

I don't understand what you mean by "from Las Vegas back to Las Vegas." do you mean you are flying to and from Las Vegas, so must start and end there?
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 07:42 PM

Each of these is good, and I consider each of them a "must-see" if you are in the area. For the Grand Canyon, I would recommend skipping Las Vegas to see it; and I've been to (and enjoyed) Las Vegas seven times. The only reason that Monument Valley is the one I'd drop is because it is the most out of the way.

Canyon de Chelley and Petrified Forest are about the same distance from the Grand Canyon as Monument Valley, but I would recommend the latter over the former two.
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 07:55 PM

If you're going to drop one, I'd drop Monument Valley. If you've never been to the Grand Canyon, prepare to be awed.
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 08:23 PM

They are all superb, but add Canyon de Chelly(shay), I would never skip the tour of MV and CdC, Bryce and Zion are great in their own way and close together, wouldn't take that much time to see. The MV and CdC tour by the Indians take about two hours in each, if you're going in the summer, do the tours in the a.m., if you're going during cool/cold times, go in the p.m.....
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 03:11 AM

We've seen them all and the're all great.The best period to visit is in September. If I may suggest the following itinerary :
- Las Vegas - Zion - Bryce - Capitol reef n. park - Arches N. Park and canyonlands - Natural bridges n. park - Monument valley - Grand canyon - Las Vegas. You'll have the time of your life. Paul
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 03:21 AM

Never been to Monument Valley - so can't comment on that.

Of the 4, I was most awed by Bryce - there are colors there that I have not seen anyplace else. But even the drive between these places is incredible. If you are not familiar driving an RV, beware that some of these roads are rather narrow and winding.

If you are not a hiker, you could actually spend the least amount of time at Grand Canyon. Zion and Bryce are great for "walkers" as opposed to "hikers".

I have a mild but chronic lung problem and expected respiratory problems at these altitudes - but did not even notice any difference breathing.