Alaska Advice - Sitka necessary?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did an inside passage cruise 11 years ago, Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway. Planning a Southbound cruise for next summer so we can see Denali. Torn between 2 cruiselines. One includes Sitka this time, the more preferred cruiseline doesn't. Is Sitka worth giving up some other things? Thanks.
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 12:25 PM

Given the ports you have visited, I would say that Sitka should be included.
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 12:35 PM

I think your decision must be made on the entire cruise itinerary, not merely Sitka. However, having been done Princess Alaska cruise in June, the only thing I regret we did not see was Sitka.
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 01:40 PM

We stopped in Sitka on the last cruise of the season back to San Francisco. It is a great stop and the Russian feel of the city is worth seeing. All being equal, I would include it.
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 01:47 PM

Linda, it depends on personality and preferences. For me, Sitka was so worth it, as I try to find a Native museum anywhere I go, and Sheldon Jackson was probably the best of all I've ever seen!

If you are interested in Russia, there is a russian dances show right by the tender (we didn't go as we don't care).

Where does the more preferred cruiseline go? Maybe there is something worth going to instead of Sitka?
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 09:32 PM

My Alaskan cruise was the year it became a state (yes, I was really young, thank you) but it did not include Sitka or Glacier Bay. Those are both places that now, I'd like to visit. The Sheldon Jackson college is now closed, I hear, but check to see if the museum is still open. It's the only place with so much Russian heritage - forget the Michael Chabon novel that's set there; it's hard to read - but you'll probably be sorry if you miss it.
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 05:30 PM

I booked the Carnival Spirit mainly because it included a whole day in Sitka.
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 12:34 AM

Our cruise stopped in Sitka, it was a great place, we walked for miles, visited the salmon hatchery, walked to the National park and saw all the fascinating totems, then went to the Indian river to see the salmon spawning. We walked all around town, came across a stunning rose garden, that the owner proudly showed us around. All this cost us nothing! Also enjoyed Haines, and Hubbard Glacier was awesome.
We were in Denali N.P. at the beginning of September and it was the highlight of the whole trip. The Autumn colours were stunning, lots of wildlife, amazing weather, we took the 11 hour shuttle bus to Wonder lake - just great.