Reload this Page >

Alamo car rental reliability

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 01:33 PM
max

I thought I had seen some Alamo car rental bashing on this site recently. However, I can save $60 on a two week rental with them vs. National, the next cheapest company I contacted for a Portland, Ore. pick-up. I also got comparative rates on Orbitz.
Is Alamo going down in quality?

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 02:10 PM
min

Alamo couldn't get much lower, in my experience. Across the country, every time I've gone with Alamo the experience ranged from disappointing to infuriating. Clunky vehicles, usually not well cleaned, lots of attempts to upcharge, even an allegation of damage where none existed. To top it all off, the service is lousy, with long lines. I'd go with National in a hearbeat.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 02:55 PM
x

I'd rather have surgery than rent from Alamo again. I agree with everything Min said!

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 09:21 PM
mark

I rented from Alamo in Florida last month, and it was OK.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 11:10 PM
Jan

Also agree with all min has said.The last time we rented from them in SF the back seat of the car was stained with what we referred to as red wine but was probably blood, ugh! Plus Alamo seem to be the worst at trying to stick you with so called "extra" costs, you really have to be on the ball.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 02:32 AM
XXX

Alamo is no better or worse than the others. You can get a good rental or you can get a bad rental.

Now if you are comparing Alamo with National, let me tell you something that what truly surprising to me.

Alamo and National, in many locations, are one and the same. You may book with them at completely different rates but the cars are exactly the same cars as their locations have been merged.

Just be careful with Alamo when the rental agent starts lying to you in order to gain commissions on upgrades, insurance and the biggest rip off of all the bring it back empty one.

They tell you that you can pay for the gas you use up front...i.e. that all you have to do is bring it back empty. Otherwise they will charge you a $4/gallon re fueling charge.

Did you ever try to bring a car back with the needle on E (which doesn't stand for enough)....you worry about sputering to a stop and anyway most fuel gauges show E with about 2 or 3 gallons left anyway.

Tell them you will return the car full. About 25 to 30 miles before the end of your rental, fill the car up. When you get back to the station, the gauge will show full.....

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 07:00 AM
davey

Alamo is notorious for trying to sneak extra charges on your bill. With my wife and me, they tried to put an "extra driver" charge on there, even though I told them I would be the only driver. They quickly removed the charge when I complained -- the whole thing was sort of like "OK, you caught us, so we'll remove it."

I just refuse to do business w/any company that operates that way, no matter what the savings are.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 07:03 AM
Gretchen

We have had okay rentals with Alamo. To save money however bid on Priceline or Hotwire.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 03:15 PM
ttt

ttt