Airtrain JFK

Old Nov 25th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Airtrain JFK

DD and SIL are flying into JFK next week. I was reading about the Airtrain and just need to clarify a couple of things. Does this just connect to the nearest station on the LIRR or does it connect to a subway station. What is the cost to get to Manhatten? Any information appreciated. They will have carry on luggage.
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 12:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a simple google search revealed:

http://www.mta.info/mta/airtrain.htm

Altho one can take the subway, it's prob easier to take the $5 Airtrain
to the Jamaica LIRR station & then purchase a train ticket into Penn Sta., NYC (34th & 7th Ave)
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 01:23 AM

Simply take the Airtrain to Jamaica Station. There you can either take the LIRR or the E train. The E train is cheaper and also stops on the eastside of Manhattan.

Please note that the correct spelling is Manhattan.

There is some up and down at both Jamaica and at JFK but everything is clearly marked.
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 03:21 AM

I believe it's about $5 more to go LIRR versus subway, and IMHO totally worth it. Just took the LIRR to Jamaica and connected to the AirTrain last month -- the LIRR is so much quieter, faster, reliable, and more comfortable than the subway. We were traveling with carry-ons and checked luggage for a ten-day trip and managed just fine. Escalators everywhere.
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 03:27 AM
J62

There are two different off airport AirTrain routes - one to Jamaica (LIRR and E train), and the other to Howard Beach (A train). Every other train will be going to Jamaica, roughly every 10min or so depending on the time of day.

The signboards will indicate which train it is, and there's a verbal announcement.

I often see travel weary foreigners standing in front of the map boards, puzzled look on their faces wondering which train to take. If DD & SIL have any questions they should ask - NYers really are helpful. Lots and lots of people go the same route - both travelers and employees.
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 07:43 AM

If you do not know where the hotel might be, why would someone take the LIRR? This will drop you at Penn Station which is 7/8 Avenue depedning where you exit and 33-31 Streets.

The E train stops on the eastside and midtown.

Old Nov 26th, 2008, 07:47 AM

airtran is $5, and brings you to jamaica station where i would prefer to take the lirr, (at last check it was about $7 one way) and not the e train. you save a great deal of time, and it is by far more comfortable. jamaica to penn station is about 17 minutes, and you can catch a cab to your destination.
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 08:46 AM

Because, Aduchamp, you can get to just about any part of Manhattan from Penn Station. It's always a good starting point. And I loathe the subway, so I'd rather take the LIRR (and connect by taxi if needed) anyday.
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 09:07 AM

I think it depends where your Manhattan destination is. If your destination is near an E train subway stop, I would take the subway from Jamaica even if the LIRR is more comfortable and a few minutes faster. I'd just rather not have to take one more mode of transportation (a taxi from Penn Station to my hotel).
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 09:09 AM

I see that others have already "discussed" what I wrote before I hit "post my reply". Of course, if you hate the subway, don't take it. Personally, I think the subway is a great mode of transportation! I would not, however, do the AirTrain/subway with real luggage (too much lugging)
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 09:18 AM

To clarify, sf, that's more along the lines of what I was referring to. I don't mind the subway as much when I'm just trying to get from A to B. With carry-ons, it starts to get annoying, especially at rush hour when everyone's pushing. We had carry-ons and luggage, so the subway was basically a no-go (or at least a "no thanks").
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 09:49 AM

I use the Airtrain every time I fly out of JFK and the A subway, which is an Airtrain stop. Airtrain is $5, then another $2 for the subway. As noted, it depends WHERE you are going??? You must pack light and plan on a set or two of stairs, if you take the subway.
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, all happened overnight, have just got up, it's 8.00am Thurs here in NZ.

The first thing I did was a google search and read various sites but got a bit confused so thanks for the clarifications.

They are actually staying at a friend's place in Brooklyn but he doesn't finish work until after 5pm. They arrive from Ohio to JFK about 1.30pm so thought they would go and have a look around Central Park, Times Square etc before heading to Brooklyn. I did start googling the best way to do that but then thought they can find that out themselves.;-)
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

So would the A train get them to Times Square, or would they be better getting off at Penn station.
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 10:34 AM

And I loathe the subway, so I'd rather take the LIRR (and connect by taxi if needed) anyday.

This is about offering visitors the best advice for them.
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 10:35 AM

The A and E subway lines both go to 42nd St/Port Authority, which is, for all intents, Times Square. The A also goes to 59th St/Columbus Circle, which is the southwest corner of Central Park.
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 11:16 AM

If they plan on taking the subway into midtown I would take the E; it has fewer stops if they plan on getting off in the Time Square area.

Will they have a fair amount of luggage? They might want to store it and then go check out a museum or Central Park while they are waiting for their friend.
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 11:42 AM

As everyone has said, there are several different ways to use the AirTrain. The AirTrain connects the airport to 2 different subways (A train which is good for going downtown, E train for midtown/uptown) OR the Long Island Railroad which is a commuter train that goes to Penn station at 34 st. near Macy's. Cheapest is the AirTrain/subway for $7/person but it takes longer and requires going up and down stairs with luggage.

The AirTrain/LIRR is slightly more at $10-13/person depending on time of day but a lot faster and no stairs. Since they're not arriving during rush hour, they'd probably pay $10 ($5 for AirTrain and $5 for LIRR).

The big issue is what to do with luggage. If they want to spend the afternoon in Manhattan, they can store luggage at schwartztravel.com
who have one location near Penn Station and one location nearer Times Square.

I'll add there's also Express Bus service for $15/person to Port Authority Bus terminal which is right near Times Square.
http://www.nyairportservice.com/page.php?id=71
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks your information has been very helpful, and will prove useful next time we go to New York as well.