Airport tipping

Old May 2nd, 2003, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Airport tipping

What is an appropriate tip for a porter who wheels a handicapped person in a wheelchair from the ticket counter to the departure gate at an airport?
Old May 2nd, 2003, 06:43 AM

depends on how far it is. I'd say about 2-3 dollars plus a little peck on the cheek.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 11:12 AM

Hofstra,

I've been there more than once with my Mother. I determined that the airlines do not want you to handle the wheelchair for saftey reasons. Therefore, I do not tip. It is their job.

By the way, I'm a VERY good tipper. I just don't see it at the airport for this type of service.\

Curious
Old May 2nd, 2003, 11:31 AM

If the airlines don't want you to handle the wheelchair for safety reasons, how do they think you normally get around in the first place? Probably by wheelchair. I say, give the guy a couple of bucks to make his day, even though it is his job. It can't hurt.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 11:50 AM

JJason: No, not probably by wheelchair. Often the person needing a wheelchair at the airport is just a slow or unstable walker, whether from injury or age. For this type of person, negotiating the long, crowd-filled walk from curbside to departure gate would be a nightmare. So you will often have people unfamiliar with wheelchairs or unable to propel one on their own using one at the airport.

I agree with Curious aout not tipping--this is the person's job. They are being paid to do it already.

A friend (unstable walker because of recent near-fatal injury) used the wheelchair service at the airport on a recent flight. For her departure, she had the nicest, most considerate attendant who carefully wheeled her to the gate. At the other end, the attendant actually used the wheelchair footrests (with her feet in them) to slam through successive sets of closed doors. Certainly attendant 2 does not deserve a tip, though he does deserve a letter of complaint. Attendant 1? I think she does her job well, should be thanked profusely,, and her boss should receive a letter praising her extra care.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 01:32 PM

I think you guys are cheap. Someone offering you a personal service should get a tip, whether it be wheel chair pushers or hookers.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 04:00 PM

You tip the porter $3-$5 for the help. It is a valet's job to park your car...do you stiff them? Same with waiters, hairstylests, etc. It is standard to tip airport porters for help with wheelchairs, luggage, etc.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 04:27 PM

It may just be "their job", but by tipping for great service, you reinforce the person to stay on the job and keep up the high level of service. It's not like these folks are getting rich anyways.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 05:53 PM

To curious...El-Cheapo,what can I say!!!
Old May 3rd, 2003, 07:01 AM

Tipping has nothing to do with wether or not someone is getting paid for thier job, but is all about how they do their job. If I get great service at the airport, resturant, hotel etc, I tip. If I get poor service I don't. It has nothing to do with wether or not it's expected and has everything to do with the service being great.

If you follow the logic that they are providing a personal service, and therefore deserve a tip, then why was I never tipped when I worked in a doctor's office? I provided personal service (sometimes more personal than I wanted it to be). Just a thought.
Old May 3rd, 2003, 09:27 AM

JJason is right: you tip for personal service. And kikahead is right: you tip because it is the custom and not necessarily. And stevecat is right: you tip "to ensure good service" and you tip MORE when you actually get it.

If you tip in advance, then it is a bribe not a tip. If you tip when a tip is not customary, then it is a gift not a tip.

It's funny, but a lot of Americans who travel abroad pay good attention to foreign customs but don't follow the ones at home.

Hm, I'd have to check with Miss Manners on why we don't tip for medical care.

Old May 3rd, 2003, 09:28 AM

... because it is the custom and not necessarily LOGICAL.