Notices

wheelchair assistance at the airport.

Old May 9th, 2018, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wheelchair assistance at the airport.

Do you tip the wheelchair assistant? Thank you.
Old May 9th, 2018, 08:40 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
It really depends on the airport -- some allow/encourage it and at others they discourage/prohibit tipping. So offer -- generally I've found they let you know honestly.

The amount will depend on how long they are with you and how far they have to take you. For instance if they roll you through immigration/baggage collection/customs change terminals and take you through security - a much bigger tip than just a smaller airport where they take you from the gate to ground transport.
Old May 10th, 2018, 04:28 AM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
What country, what airline?
Old May 10th, 2018, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Janisj and cdnyul. US, American airlines. What is the range of tip suggested, say from check in to boarding. Then, getting a connecting flight, and finally from deplaning to baggage claim? Thank you.
Old May 10th, 2018, 07:50 AM

I've had to use wheel chair assistance on American Airlines in US airports several times. How much I tipped depended upon the overall time it took from 'pick-up" to "drop off". Usually the service takes anywhere from from 15 to 30 minutes. I base my tip on a rate of about $1 per minute of the SkyCap's time (and I always round up - after all in the US tips make up the bulk of the SkyCaps salary). Thus if it takes 15 minutes from the time I get in the wheelchair at the curb or check-in counter to the time I'm at the gate then I tip $15 dollars. If it took 18 minutes I'd give the SkyCap $20. Same with arrivals. If, I'm doing only carry on and are taken from the plane to the exit of the terminal I'll tip $10 to $15 depending on time. If you have to wait a long time for any checked luggage luggage to arrive at the carrousel then increase the tip accordingly. Remember, the SkyCap is performing a service to make things easier for you - a few extra dollars in their pocket might make it easier for them to pay their bills this month.
Old May 10th, 2018, 11:23 AM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Ask the person providing the assistance if they are an employee of AA, or look for an AA badge,
If they are, no tip is necessary or expected, in some airports they might actually get in trouble for accepting one.

Some airports provide the service for the airlines by contracting it out to the lowest bigger, and that lowest bidder skims all the money, leaving the assistants at the mercy and the moods of the passenger.

Keep in mind that the assistant's duty is to assist the person, not the luggage.

Last edited by cdnyul; May 10th, 2018 at 11:27 AM.