Airport shuttles--watch your luggage

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2014, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter and I took an airport shuttle from a hotel to DFW. They stopped at one terminal to let a woman out and as she was walking into the terminal my daughter just happened to look out the window and noticed the woman had a bag that looked like her bag. With so many bags looking alike I didn't think it was her bag but we both thought she should get out of the shuttle van and check. Sure enough, the shuttle driver had given the woman the wrong bag and she hadn't noticed.

We were going to two different terminal buildings and we would not have ever seen her again so I'm really glad my daughter was paying attention. It was an honest mistake but could have caused a big hassle.

Moral to the story is to keep an eye on your bags. It's not always easy since they are usually in the back of the van.
Old Jan 6th, 2014, 05:36 AM

Last year I was on a shuttle. One passenger on the shuttle from the parking lot to the terminal had this happen. However it was the one passenger who picked up the wrong bag and the error wasn't discovered by the rightful owner until the last stop.
Old Jan 6th, 2014, 05:44 AM

A really good reason to have SOMETHING on your bag to differentiate it from all the other lookalike black bags.

I used to have a multicolored stretchy band I used whenever checking luggage - but you can use a knot of identifiable ribbon or one of those brightly colored name tags available in many stores with travel accessories (I got one in a hardware store recently).
uor luggage.
And of course, do watch y
Old Jan 6th, 2014, 06:08 AM

Also put a decal on your computer that goes into a bin through security. I saw three apples one day and the confusion of that was funny to say the least. I have about three decals on mine. I love my Red suitcase for that reason.
Old Jan 6th, 2014, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

That's how my daughter determined it was probably her bag but when it is coming out of the back of the van and being taken in a terminal (and you are still in the van) you don't always see or notice what is happening. You have to make an extra effort to be sure and look out the van windows and watch that someone else isn't walking into the building with your bag.

She just happened to be on that side of the van and just happened to look out the window and noticed it. We learned a lesson to be more vigilant.
Old Jan 6th, 2014, 04:32 PM

Just one reason, I plan never to buy generic black luggage.
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

You still have to make a point to look out of the van to see which luggage they are walking away with. This was an elderly woman who was alone. I don't think she would have noticed if it was purple polka dots.
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 01:02 PM

I have generic black luggage, but I have a bright yellow ribbon tied around the handle and an electric blue tag. My Dad, who is somewhat of a redneck, put a large duct tape X on his generic black luggage. No one would dream of taking his.
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 01:52 PM

Had this happen at JFK - my cell rang after we dropped off the first group - a distressed girl yelling at me to "COME BACK!!" - there were four of them with tons of bags, my little carry-on was in their pile. Never been so relieved to have my big pink Mickey Mouse luggage tags with my phone number on them!!
The shuttle driver was less than impressed to have to circle around, though.