Reload this Page >

airport shuttle service/car rental-maui

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2002, 08:46 PM
Sandra

I will be landing in Maui in the evening with my 3 children(2,5,7)and since I will be by myself(husband arrives the following day), I am a little apprehensive about renting a car. We are staying in the Kaanapali area.I have the name of speedi shuttle and was wondering if there are any others to compare.Also I was wondering about renting a car in the Kaanapali area. Do you have to go to Lahaina or are there other locations. Does anyone have any recommendations. Thank you for any information.
a

Old May 30th, 2002, 03:47 AM
kelli

Sandra,
We have used speedi Shuttle many times. They are very good. When you arrive at the airport go over to the red phone by the information desk and dial 65? They will tell you when you make the reservation. As far as car rental goes, you can go right up the street to different rental companys. They should all be listed in the hotels phone book or in the information books you can get when you arrive at the airport. We have taken Sppedi-Shuttle so many times we practically know all the drivers by name. Another thought would be to take the trolley/bus service to anywhere you want to go. You hop on right at Whalers Village for a dollar or two and they take you to Lahaina, Wailea or Kapalua. Go to the information desk at Whalers Village and get the schedule. You might want to rent a car for a couple of days to tour the island but we found that we did not need it the whole time we were there. Most hotels charge a daily rate for you to park and space is minimal, so you might want to take these things into consideration. The car rental companies are up by the West Maui airport, which is a five minute ride. Our hotel gave us a ride to them or the rental co. will come and oick you up.

Old May 30th, 2002, 05:04 AM
Karen

I was just thinking about this, this moring. I am going to the Old Lahaina luaua and maybe a Molikini snorkle outing. Do I need to rent a car? Is it really possible to get a shuttle. Sandra where are you staying? I want to find a hotel that has a cancellation policy on day of arrival. Want the option of cancelling, I will be on Kauai and sometimes that island just winds me down so far that interisland travel is more of a hassel than it is worth. Any suggestions on hotels and shuttle services from kahalui airport.

Old May 30th, 2002, 05:05 AM
Karen

How far is Kaanapali and Lahaina?

Old May 30th, 2002, 05:31 AM
kcd

Karen,
It's about a 10 minute drive from Lahaina to Kaanapali.

Old May 30th, 2002, 06:09 AM
May

But Kaanaplai is about a 45 minutes drive from the airport. We just got back from Maui and we thought that it was necessary to have a car. You will have the freedom to do whatever you want, whenever you want. We didn't like the idea of waiting for car service. On top of that, we took a snorkeling tour and you have to be at the harbor at 6:30am. Our tour required us to get to the Harbor ourselves. We were glad we had a car. There are places you can rent cars from in Lahaina and kaanapali. We've passed by a couple of them on our way to our hotel in Kaanapali. However, their cars didn't seem as new as the ones in we rented from the airport. A suggestion: why don't you consider taking the speedi shuttle the day you arrive with your children, and reserve a car in advance for the day your husband arrives, so he can drive and meet up with you in kaanapali? Hope all works out for you. We had a great time.

Old May 30th, 2002, 06:39 AM
joe

The airport in Maui is not that big or complex. It is very easy to get your bags and walk over to the car rental shuttles(far left).
It is easy to leave the airport, you will continue straight out to go to your hotel through a dozen lights and then open hiway.
You really need a car on Maui.

Old May 30th, 2002, 07:00 PM
Ken

Sandra, take the shuttle to Kaanapali with your kids. Have your husband rent a car at the airport when he arrives the next day. If you do decide to rent a car in Kaanapali most if not all companies will charge you a bout $30 to drop it at the airport when you leave.

Also If you rent in Kaanapali the car rental companies will pick you up wherever you are staying and take you to their office.

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 06:21 PM
Lisa

Sandra,

We just returned last Monday from Maui. I went the day ahead of my husband. I rented a car from Hertz. It was very easy. Shuttle from baggage claim to the front door of the car rental agency. It is nice to have a car right away for the inevitable items you forget. Also I've found when traveling with children it is good to stop at the grocery store to get snack items for the hotel room. There is a Safeway grocery store on the main highway to Kaanapali. Sunset was a little after 7:00 the week we were in Maui.

I don't know where you are from, but there are not many highways in Maui and the roads are well marked.

Good luck.

Aloha,
Lisa