Getting from Lahaina Harbor to airport

Mar 17th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

Getting from Lahaina Harbor to airport

We will be arriving on the Molokai to Maui ferry at 5:30 in the afternoon. Any suggestions on getting from Lahaina Harbor in Maui to the airport to pick up our rental car? Thanks Ed
Mar 17th, 2006, 08:31 PM

Assuming you mean Kahului Airport, it's about a 30 min drive to the airport (took us longer, we stopped several times to watch whales). You might check with your resort, some may have an airport shuttle, but may cost you. What car rental company? some will pick you up, like Enterprise. Maui doesn't have a typical public bus system, and what they do have is used mainly for shopping. Call you car rental company and see what they recommend. Good luck.
Mar 19th, 2006, 10:25 AM
trippinkpj

I think there are airport shuttle companies, although I agree with checking with your rental car company.

Mar 19th, 2006, 03:29 PM

Why don't you rent a car in the Lahaina area instead of going all the way to the airport? Most if not all of the major car rental companies have locations near Lahaina, and I am quite sure they will pick you up at Lahaina Harbor. Most don't close until 6 pm.
Mar 19th, 2006, 03:37 PM
trippinkpj

I thought of that too, as long as Ed can drop the car that he rents in Lahaina off at the airport without a hassle/ too much expense. I assuming that he's flying out of Kahalui, Maui at the end of his stay.

Mar 21st, 2006, 01:38 PM

The Kapalua (West Maui) airport car rental agencies have shuttles that pick up at the hotels, so I assume they will come to Lahaina; if not you can get a shuttle to the hotels then have the Kapalua shuttle pick you up. Kapalua has all of the major rental companies, and most, though not all, allow free drops at OGG. Be sure to check when making the reservation. Also, check to be sure the Kapalua airport rental office stays open late enough for you to get from the ferry to the car rental place. They may close at 6:00.
Mar 26th, 2006, 06:41 PM

Have you considered flying to Maui from Molokai? We were in the same situation recently. We found that it was cheaper for three of us to take Island Air than take the ferry and then a taxi from Lahaina to the airport ($70). Also, it is a lot faster. There is a 4:00 PM flight that gets in at 4:20. Look on the internet for the cheap fares. I think it was $60 each.

Also, if you have a rental car in Molokai (which we did) you will have to take it back to the airport then take a van back to the ferry. All in all, you can save lots of time and money flying.