Search

Airport Security

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2003, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airport Security

I have a splint on my finger--Am I required to have a Dr's note? The splint is removable, but the finger is broken. Are they going to make me take it off? I think it will probably set the detector off. Also--Is it legal to bring an epi-pen on an airplane without a note? I have a prescription label on it---no one has stopped me yet---is it safe for the meds to go through the machine? I guess I Have never thought about it. I have cold induced uticaria meaning I break out in hives from cold and the allergy could cause a breathing emergency.
Thanks in advance for the help!
Old May 27th, 2003, 12:29 PM

Call your airline or the air port. As far as I know, you shouldn't have a problem with your finger splint. You should be able to bring your epi pen with you, just make shure it has the pharmacy lable on it. I don't think that meds are affected by the x rays, but if you're concerned, have the screeners hand check them. A note from your doctor could be helpful. If you have chronic medical issues you should carry a copy of your doctor's name, address, and phone number as well as a list of your conditions and medications with doseages in case someting were to happen to you. In an emergency you won't always remember your info, or be conscious enough to give your info to emergency personell.
Old May 27th, 2003, 12:57 PM

My parents have a friend who had an accident on a trip, and flew home from Europe with her jaws wired shut. She had to keep a pair of heavy duty scissors on a string around her neck at all times to cut the wires in case she threw up, so that she wouldn't aspirate (gross, I know). The doctor sent a letter with her and she was allowed to keep these scissors with her on the plane. I'm assuming that if she could do that after 9/11, you're fine with a splint and a syringe. I'd take a doctor's note regarding medical necessity.