Medically Allowed Carry on?

Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Medically Allowed Carry on?

I have to take some medication and needles with me on an upcoming flight. The medication needs to stay refrigerated. (I know I need to bring the original prescription labels with me.) Will TSA allow the gel packs you can toss into a lunch box through security since it's for medical reasons? Ice cubes in a zip lock bag is not an option since the medication can't risk being frozen. Any advice on traveling with fragile meds would be greatly appreciated!
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 06:17 PM

I went to http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...d-items.shtm#2
to the Medical section. Find the link to liquid medication within the section on medical, and it appears you can have one of those frozen gels bags, but it is confusing as the the size of same.
Good luck.
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 11:32 PM

Also check with pharmacist about actual storage requirements for whatever this medication is. There are quite a few medications that are recommended to be stored refrigerated which actually can do fine for some number of hours nonrefrigerated = some can't but pharmacist will know for sure. Also, website of medication may offer some suggestions.

For example, most types of insulin do not require refrigeration, although many older patients of mine still store them there.
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 11:54 PM

Hi duke, I don't know the answer to your questions but just wanted to say even if your pharmacist advises you that your medications can go so many hours without refrigeration I would be cautious in that we have all heard about how many airline passengers are delayed getting their flights for "whatever" reason. I would plan on that..better safe then sorry. Best wishes.
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great answers! I e-mailed the TSA and this is what they said about the gel packs,

"Medications (prescription medicines, diabetic glucose treatments and over-the-counter medicinal products, i.e. Tylenol®, Pepto-Bismol®, ointments, etc.) that come in liquid, gel, and/or aerosol form in containers greater than 3 ounce must be declared at the checkpoint for additional screening. If the passenger fails to make this declaration, the item will likely be removed barring extenuating circumstances. Passengers should only carry-on medications that are required to be available during their itinerary. This includes items like gel filled freezer packs or non-prescription liquid or gel medications, such as saline solution or KY-Jelly, required for medical necessity. It is unlikely that additional changes in the liquid, aerosol and gel policy will be made in the near future."

I am going to print a copy of this e-mail and take it with me when I travel. Just to make sure I can get on the plane with my meds.

Old Mar 24th, 2007, 09:09 AM

If your medication truly MUST be refrigerated at all times (it's true that many are fine at room temps for hours or even a day or if refrigerated for the rest of the time) I wold go armed with an additinal Rx.

There have been so many stories about confusion by security staff - and people being forced to leave behind things that ARE allowed - that I would want that additional Rx just in case your meds are confiscated.
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 01:06 PM

WIth a newly diagnosed diabetic teen last summer, I was quite worried about flying with her insulin and needles. I found some "cases" by Medport that had the little gel packs and just the right compartments, etc. I also carried her insulin with the original "stickies" from the pharmacy as well as copies of her perscriptions. We flew immediately after the carry on change occurred and then again a few weeks later. I informed them at security that we had diabetic supplies ... there was no problem and no question. I do know of some people who flew international flights at the same time and were required to show their perscriptions and identification that matched. I hope this helps. Do a Google search for the Medports if that is what you need - I ordered them from the internet. Hope this helps.
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the information! I have researched the issue a little further.... I have learned that in order to fly with the gel packs the medication needs to state on the bottle that it needs to stay cooled or have a note from the Doctor that states the same. This little tid bit of important info is left off the TSA e-mail response I got. I want to make sure I can fly with these med since it costs more than the airline ticket!