Diabetic Flying 5 Hours-Questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are the TSA rules re: check in with a Diabetes meter? I cannot find a thing on their website or airline websites about it.
Also:

This is the first time I will be flying taking diabetic meds, arrythmia meds and with knowledge about the topic of deep vein thrombosis (which I do not suffer from).

I am wondering if there are other diabetics (or others with like medical situations) in Fodorland that can give me tips on how to fly more worry-free. I have flown for years (with diabetes, and no meds) and I never thought twice about it. Now it seems, that I worry more about the "what ifs" and I may miss out on going on a trip (Georgia to California) - and then a one-hour car drive due to fear and concern. Any tips? I am depriving myself of living for fear and concern.

I feel I am quite educated about these things and have a good idea what I need to do to prevent my sugar from going up, my stress from affecting my heart and the fact that I need or should walk about the cabin so as not to sit for a long period of time...yet, I am scared. Any suggestions and feedback please? I would greatly appreciate it.

(Btw, I will probably have to switch flights at some point. For me, that would be a plus as it would allow me to walk around and not be sitting for five STRAIGHT hours. Thanks again in advance.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 03:20 PM

my 80 yr. old insulin- dependent, erratic- sugar-leveled mom has come alone to europe from the usa on two flights to spend 2 months with me.

i am helping her eat healthy, but her sugar was high the first few days.. perhaps due to an unknown infection, or the mere unnoticed stress of the trip.

we have just gotten back from a trip to london and paris.

we were not allowed to take more orange juice boxes than those needed for the flight.
i
had to dump 2/3 of what i had bought for the hotels. i should have known better.

other than that, she monitors herself and carries orange juice, sugar pills and snacks in her purse.

we stopped frequently, and she did get up and move around on the plane a bit to keep circulation up.

she has seen that she can travel, and diabeties is such a predictable disease, that you, yourself, know how to take care of any slight complication you might have.

lose your fear, and enjoy travelling while you can.

my mom wishes she had done more when she was younger.

we were always asked in france and england if she had the "pen" or needles at security.

we had no problem and carried her doctorīs letter. if you are comfortable taking care of your disease at home, then you should be fine at the airport and on plane. but if you arenīt , then you need to achieve that feeling first, i think.

just be sure to take plenty of what you need. sometimes there are unexpected delays.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 03:29 PM
P_M

I recently traveled with my mom and stepdad who are both diabetics. Your liquid meds are exempt from the liquid restrictions, however you need to claim them seperately when you go through security. My folks do not have diabetes meters, but any type of medical equipment will not count against your carry-on allowance.

There are so many diabetics in this country, so the TSA meets diabetics every day. I'm sure you'll be fine. Go on your trip and enjoy.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 05:07 PM

Hello AmySabato, my stepson is a Diabetic. He travels constantly in his line of work. Also, he recently took a flight to Italy.

He always has a letter from his physician and consequently takes his medication on the plane. I do not know if his needles are kept by the FA or not..I can't remember. I would strongly suggest that you call the airline that you are planning on flying with and see what their procedures are. Best wishes to you..try to keep a positive thought and know that so many others travel with medical problems and do manage quite well.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 05:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Amy,

Here is a site with good info:
http://www.diabetes123.com/d_0j_211.htm

My 16-year old daughter has had insulin-dependent diabetes for 15 years. Last summer she went halfway around the world with an organized group for 3 weeks. She did fine, and so will you. Don't let diabetes control, you control diabetes. That doesn't mean you'll have control of it 100% of the time, and when you are traveling and schedules are thrown off, it can be particularly difficult. Remember, that if you generally have good control, a couple of days of running elevated sugars won't really matter. Relax and enjoy yourself.

I respectfuly disagree with the premise that diabetes is a "predictable" disease. The number of things that affect your blood sugars is mind boggling. They include stress, food, illness, time of day & hormone levels. However, it is true that if you check your blood sugars regularly, and carry some glucose tablets or other quick acting sugars you should have no problems that you can't handle. Good luck.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 05:46 PM

I'm on oral medication, not insulin. On our last trip home from Europe, I was way off schedule as we got up at about 4 AM to get to the airport and fly home. A few hours into the flight I was feeling terrible and just knew my blood sugar was way low as I had almost skipped breakfast and hadn't really eaten, so got orange juice from the attendant -- they were very nice about it. But I started feeling worse. I dug out my meter and discovered I was the highest I had ever been -- I had no idea -- took a pill and started feeling better.
Be sure to have your meter handy so you can check -- those out of schedule episodes can be very misleading. There are no rules against having your meter.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 06:00 PM

Two pieces of advice:

1. Make sure ALL of your prescriptions have the original labels with your name on them. Don't transfer your meds into pill boxes, etc.

2. Get a note from your physician stating that you are a diabetic and you must carry your testing supplies with you (including a glucometer, lancets, insulin needles, glucagon pen, etc.)

Hope that helps. -Doctoressa

PS: You should ALWAYS travel with your meds and supplies with you. As we are well aware, the flight indurstry is anything BUT reliable!
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 11:02 PM

what i meant by "predicatable",( perhaps i have not chosen the correct word) is that when it is high .. you do this.. when it is low.. you do the other.. if you eat this.. it will go up, if you donīt eat... it will do the other... if you are stressed..

it is almost "predictable" ( at least this is how it seems to me with my mom) that it will go up or down "reliably " with certain factors, but that she can rectify and GET it to go back up or down fairly easily with her meds and take care if it.

i only encourage you to find out as much as possible so you can enjoy the possibility of travelling.

Old Jan 26th, 2007, 05:05 AM

Yes, I would normally agree with that predicatability theory. But that's why I was so sure when I got up very early and took my meds, ate a very light breakfast on the run and then had not had any exercise that my blood sugar must be very low when I was on the plane -- that would have been soooo predictable for me normally. But oddly enough, it was apparently very high. Who would have guessed?
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 05:36 AM

my main concern walking around paris and london was that no one snatch my momīs little purse/med bag she carries everywhere with her meter and pen. we had it "between us" as we walked.

i was more worried about that than my own belongings.. although we could have replaced everything pretty easily, i assume.

her sugar pills were always accessible in a pocket at museums and we took many more breaks than usual, but that made it a very relaxing trip for me, once i got over the "fear" of travelling with a diabetic, away from the comfort of my home.

hope you feel comfortable about this trip and decide to go. let us know how it goes!

Old Jan 28th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

My sincerest thanks to everyone for the feedback and support. I have newly started taking one of the meds and have to get on a second one. My b.s. was 335 last night after dinner and this morning before lunch and after taking one Januvia it was 267 and I felt sleepy. So, needless to say, I at least recognize SOME symptoms, but will try to get on the second med (acto plus met) immediately so that I don't start it while ON the trip. My thanks again and I will report. I booked the flight tonight, by the way. Set for early March.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 10:22 PM

i am sure you know more about this disease than i do, but following a suggestion i saw here about glycemic index, i read up on it preparing myself for my momīs two month stay.

i am happy to say that we have eliminated a lot of "permitted" stuff that i believe made her sugar more erratic. she was into "substitution" constantly, claiming, " i can have one of those....."

(mostly white products. bread, potatoes..etc., some desserts) also, she is taking whole grains more to help stabilize her sugar when she eats.

and she has even lost a few unsuspected pounds in the meantime.

i am so glad you are taking this trip.

congratulations.
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 06:32 AM

I suggest carrying all your diabetic equipment and meds in a separate clear plastic bag from your other items in the carry on bag

It will probably help to have a letter from your doctor explaining that this is essential for you to have on your person at all times (life or death)

Finally I would print out copies of TSA policies on such items from the TSA's own website to "remind" any skeptical TSA agents that their own agency allows you to carry these items on the plane. Most of all, enjoy your trip.
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 07:01 AM

I have traveled by air recently with my meter , test strips , lancets , syringes , and both oral medication and symlin which comes in a small vial and is injected.

Once at security I informed them that I am a diabetic and didn't have a problem.

I carried all my material in a large zip-loc bag.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you SO much for that feedback. I am pleased to know that you were able to carry everything in a large Ziploc. I always try to follow everything SO much to "the letter" that I was wondering how I was going to get my meter and all my Rx meds in their original bottles in one small ziploc bag. Also, they say one ziploc PER passenger. Sounds like I would NEED a large ziploc.

I have also printed out TSA's own (sometimes conflicting or not clear) instructions as suggested so that I can show it to them. Thank you again.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 01:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Better to be safe than sorry regarding TSA, but I would be shocked if you encountered any problem at all with your meds/supplies. We've been flying for 16 years with needles, lancets, insulin, and now an insulin pump and insert sets, and never had even a hint of a question about any of it.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 09:14 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have a couple small tips for on the plane, since you need to walk around often...

1) Request an aisle seat. That makes me feel much more comfortable getting up as often as I please without having to "ask" my neighbor every time.

2) Pay attention to when the Captain is turning on & off the fasten seat-belt signs. ANYtime they go off, get up and walk to the restroom (whether you need to or not) or to the galley (request a glass of water). Point being, you never know when there will be slight turbulance, enough that they put the seatbelt sign back on and request people stay seated for a period of time.
best regards, Suze
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Suze, that is a great observation! Thank you. As it stands now, the only time I have a middle seat (there were absolutely NO aisle seats available), is on my 1 hour + flight. However, when I get there, I plan on asking if there is one free or can be made free for someone who doesn't mind. I am traveling with my husband though, and on that flight, he has the window seat next to me. I don't want to inconvenience anyone by asking for two different seats for both of us.

The rest of the plane rides are all aisles, will triple check. The first ride up (five hours) I requested the last row, way in the back, aisle. I don't mind flying in the back of the plane, as long as the chances of my back hurting are lessened by making it easier for me to get up and move around. I plan to stand more than sit, if allowed by those seat belt lights and the FA's. Thank you again.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 10:52 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
That's good. I don't worry about seat assignments so much on short flights, it's the longer ones that count. Sounds like you've got it covered.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Come to think of it, how long is too long sitting on a plane? Some back pain websites (and prevention of blood clots) say 1/2 hour, airlines and other say 60-90 minutes? Or should I just go by how I feel? I was aiming for every 20-25 minutes at best, and for a five hour flight, that is a LOT of movement. LOL I am starting to do those exercises today to limber up for the trip. LOL