Airline Changed Flight Time

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2004, 08:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am schedule to fly Continental at 8:30AM in about 2 weeks. Continental had contacted me and said that the flight time has been changed to 11:30AM. We would not arrive in our destination city until 9:30PM, a little late for us with 2 kids under 10. The explanation given was just a schedule change.

I was wondering if airlines have to make any accommodations (freebies, payments, etc.) for these types of changes. They would try to accommodate us on a very early flight but cannot assure us that they would be able to seat us all together. One of the reasons why I bought on Continental in the first place was the flight time (convenient for family with kids). I am a little disappointed but don't know if I have any recourse in this situation.

I am sure this has happened to many people and wondering what you all did, if anything, about it. Thanks.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 10:37 PM

flight times are changed semi-frequently. And it seems to happen more than it used to. But Continental really doesn't owe you anything - you booked tickets to a certain destination and that is what you are getting. Just be glad Continental let you know about the change. Some airlines don't even do that.

Now if you were trying to make a connection to an international flight or a cruise you might have a beef.
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 12:43 AM

I am guessing you made these reservations some time ago - probably to coincide with a school vacation - so it must be maddening, having planned ahead to have this happen.

Our last vacation an airline changed our flight time from 10 AM to 7 AM - try getting 2 teenagers up and going for a flight that early!

That said, agree with previous poster - these things happen with annoying frequency these days. Decide which is more important to you - all seated together (I am sure they would seat you 2 and 2 - even if changes needed to be made at the airport - they don't want little kids sitting alone) - or getting in too late for comfort. Hope the rest of the trip is better.
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 05:14 PM

Since you're not going to get any other compensation, I'd take the earlier flight too.

While it's nice to be seated together, even if you're ALL in separated seats, it's not like the kids can wander anywhere ... but I agree that you're likely to at worse end up as two groups of 2. Remember, there's kids under age 10 who negotiate city buses and subways everyday ... treat this like an adventure and "grownup" experience for them and they'll probably marvel you with their newfound maturity.
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 05:24 PM

when this has happened with us, they tried to get us accomodated at least close to each other, if not together when we got there, especially wiht young children. Noone else wants to watch them for you. The other passengers can be helpful too. Good Luck
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 05:27 PM

How annoying but very typical. Happens alot at the small airport we use.

I would take the earlier option always, you never know what could happen to make your late flight even later! The airline will not force your children to sit alone so I'm sure they will make an effort when the see how young the kids are.
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 05:28 PM
GoTravel

You really have no recourse but keep this in mind, kindness will get you everywhere with the airline.

Old Mar 27th, 2004, 06:58 PM

There is one more option, a full refund.

Judging from your post, I don't think that's an option you are interested in, but I thought I just let everybody know that this option is available in situations like this.
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 10:11 PM

I would keep calling to check if anything earlier has opened up. When the 8:30 was cancelled, they probably put you onto whatever schedule had the most seats still open that morning. Closer to your date, if a 9:30 or 10 flight isn't full-up, they might just find 4 seats for you.
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 11:58 PM

I don't usually fly continental so I'm not sure if they operate as many other airlines do. If you arrive early enough at the airport to check in, usually you can request seats together. Worst case, most airlines allow you to pre-board with children and you might get someone to switch seats with you if your separated. I'd rather do that than sit next to a child without a parent next to them. Also, did you ask them how full the early am flight is? The flight might not be full at an early hour.
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 05:29 AM
GoTravel

Full-up?

Old Mar 28th, 2004, 04:01 PM

United changed my departure time to San Francisco next month from 3pm to 6am!! they didn't call me, i just happened to be reviewing my itinerary on line. when i called them they said "oh we were going to call and let you know". i was able to get seats on a later morning flight. i guess this is pretty typical these days. annoying, but typical. in my case this will now necessitate an overnight at the airport in order to be sure we're at the airport on time.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 09:14 AM

This happened to me a couple years ago for an international flight. It was with Continental, also. They sent me an itinerary change in the mail, and the time was just a couple hours off my previous plans. So it didn't bother me too much.

I happened to pull this itinerary change letter out and look at it again about one week before I was to leave and suddenly realized that the DATE was different as well as the time. Couldn't believe it. I called my travel agent immediately and she was very helpful in getting my flights rearranged. The airline was going to cheat me out of an entire day in Rome! So the flight times finally got settled but this also caused me some trouble with my hotel reservation. Had to change location to an annex of the B&B for the last night of my stay, which is not that big a deal, but I didn't like it.

So check your times AND dates on any flight changes.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 11:39 AM

You're not entitled to any compensation for the schedule change. Your choices are 1. have them reaccomodate you on the earlier flight or 2. request a full refund. 2 is probably only an option at this point if you can find another airline with a better flight schedule and similar fare.

I wouldn't worry too much about the seating situation. A percentage of seats are usually held back for assignment at check-in. You may also find that other passengers would be willing to change seats with you once on board.