Air travel with a Terrier

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like some input on air travel experiences in cabin with pets. How strict are they on size? I am leaving from DFW to PDX. Our toy rat terier weighs 18 lbs. including carrier. AA allows up to 20 lbs. The carrier is smaller than allowed by width & length but is taller than allowed. I think it will still slide under the seat. I would hate to get to the check-in & they tell me my dog has to stay. What do I do?
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 10:16 AM

"The carrier is smaller than allowed by width & length but is taller than allowed."

Why do you think it will fit under the seat if it doesn't comply with their rules.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 10:18 AM

If your carrier is a bit taller than allowed, why do you think it will still slide under the seat?

The only way to be certain your dog will be allowed on your flight is to get a carrier that is the size allowed and no larger.

You should also call the airline, if you haven't already, and buy the terrier a ticket. I don't know if you knew this, but you can't just show up with a pet: airlines limit the number of pets allowed in the cabin per flight, and may bump you if someone on the plane has animal allergies (far more common with cats than dogs).

Good luck!
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 10:19 AM

Great minds think alike! ;-)

I meant to add that I have traveled more than once with cats inside the cabin and have had no trouble, but I was a stickler about following the rules.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 10:19 AM

I have flown with my small maltese in her carrier under the seat in front of me - I have had to notify the airline first, because I think they allow a limit on even in cabin animals on each flight -

it absolutely had to fit under my seat - and once when I left it unzipped at the end so she could cuddle up to my toes a flight attendant had a fit - told me they had to stay inside, not opened, and all the way under the seat.

yet on another flight, the attendants were passing her around in the back.. who knows..

I would say it would have to fit perfectly and I would get the ok from AA first because if it does not fit, then what?

Old Apr 9th, 2008, 10:33 AM

The airlines are also careful about the pet vs. the size of the carrier. So you can't just buy a smaller carrier so that it will fit under the seat.

From AA:

Animals must be able to stand up, turn around and lie down in a natural position in the kennel. Soft-sided pet carriers are accepted as long as they are constructed of water-repellent, padded nylon with mesh ventilation on two or more sides.

http://www.aa.com/content/travelInfo...WithPets.jhtml
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 10:45 AM

One of my biggest problems with flying. I am very allergic to cats. I wish they would either be sympathetic to people with allergies. 3 times I have had seats next to people with cats (twice out of the carrier)and every time the airlines refused to move me. Once, they even told me to quit sneezing or get thrown off (this was before we had even taken off). I am not saying that pets shouldn't be allowed in cabin. But the airlines need to make provisions for them. They need to have it so there are certain rows where pets are allowed and allow people that are in these areas to move around. The other time, I was next to 1 person with a cat and 1 with a dog. We all know the rest.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 10:53 AM

We have a tiny Maltese who flies with ease. I remember flying with her on U.S. Air, RT. The only thing they cared about was whether or not we paid the $85. each way fee. Maybe they could immediately tell our carrier and dog's size were fine, though.

Make sure you place a potty pad in the carrier so your baby is comfortable.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 11:08 AM

and bring extra potty pads !!

tchoiniere: I am convinced it depends on the attendants - I have been on planes where the attendants took my "baby" out and passed her around in the back and loved her and let her sleep on my lap under her blanket -
and on ones where if I unzipped the end of her carrier so I could stick my toes in for her to snuggle against, the attendant came over and nearly beat me up for opening it -

I am sorry you have been put next to animals that bother you...you would love my baby (hair, not fur, and very cute)
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 11:28 AM

I flew with a full size dog from PDX to Houston..in doing so, I found out a few rules that I had not known of.

You have to find out BEFORE your flight , if there is another dog flying..they only allow a certain number .. in or out of crates in the cabins. The number is low, like 2 so find out about that.

You cannot "think" anything, it has to be exact..they will do one of two things...catch it at check=in and refuse you or at the gate..or if it doesn't fit ( that is why they give you those measurements) you will have to get off the plane with the little pup and go through the hell of getting an airline crate and having the little thing put in cargo.

I went through 24 hours of (hell) flying with our dog..I will try very hard never ever to do it again..

My pup is like escargots ( I think) Hair not fur..I think I shed more than he does lol
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 11:29 AM

tchoiniere, I agree with you 100%, animal allergies should be respected, because they could be a matter of life and death for some.

It's funny that the airlines talk out of both sides of the mouth on this one. I was warned repeatedly that if another passenger on our flight were to declare an allergy to cats, we would be bumped--not moved to another row, but bumped-- and this warning, perfectly fair IMO, gave me no end of anxiety. Then they turn around and ignore your concerns!

Tsk, tsk.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 01:13 PM

I don't recall every being told that we would be bumped if someone declared an allergy. It's understandable but scary when you think about what could happen to your reservations and schedule.

Escargot, is sounds as if we've run into the same flight attendants. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. >)
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 01:28 PM

Scarlett: I absolutely shed more than my baby - she doesn't shed at all that I can tell -

Tess: I think it depends on their mood, whether they love dogs, who they are flying with, where you are seated: I was on a plane once and a woman was bringing back 2 puppies and we were all passing them around - then someone said I am allergic to dogs and they all went back in their carrier, no problem..

I think that part of it is like figuring out what different tsa agents let through in your carry on - we are still trying to figure out why last week when we flew to LA, my husband had his toothpaste confiscated as well as his sunscreen (well over 4 oz and in his carry on suitcase)

however, in my carry on suitcase, as always, was my entire make up case - everything 4 oz and under but PLENTY of it - liquid make up, creams, toothpaste, saline, vitamin e oil.....go figure.....
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 04:16 PM

You MUST arrange this far in advance - since they usually allow only one pet per cabin. (A friend of mine has to go to her third choice date to find a flight with availability - but she was flying with 2 cats - she had one and a friend had the other in the next cabin.)

Your carrier MUST meet their requirements (why fool around with something like this?) and your pet must be comfortable - not squashed in it.

And there is a fee for your pet's "ticket".

Old Apr 10th, 2008, 03:58 AM
Original Poster

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to do anything illegal. I just thought by being smaller 2 ways, it my lay one way or the other & fit. It's only 1" taller than allowed. I have already called the airline & have her tentatively booked. It will cost $80. I had to give them her name & rabies ID tag#. There are no other pets booked on my flight yet. I know all about allergies. I take 3 shot every other week for several allergies. I got my dog for Christmas and wanted to take her to show my daughter.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 04:03 AM

If it won't fit under the seat, it won't fit. I have seen soft-sided carriers that might work if airline allows - but then you are squishing the dog.

Wouldn't it be less annoying to fly your dtr to you to see the dog? If I were a dog I would not want to be crammed under a seat for an entire flight.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 04:05 AM

"Its only 1" taller tahn allowed."
Thats like putting 10# of s*** in a 5# bag.
The seats are rigid. They don't bend or move up or down. Your pet carrier is rigid it won't bend. Something has got to give. It either will fit or won't.
So you will discomfort the passenger in front of you by trying to force the pet carrier under the seat and have the passenger squish on it. I hope thats not me.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 05:27 AM

the dog is 18 lbs and you might have to squish the carrier down or tilt it - and the dog is still going to be able to move around and stretch and be comfortable?

You don't even know "how this dog flies" -
some have to be medicated -

I agree, maybe visit daughter w/out dog and daughter can bond with dog via email photos until she can come home for a long weekend?
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 06:13 AM

Well Escargo, your husband had the rules enforced, and you got lucky-the question is are you prepared to toss your over 3 ounce cosemetics-which likely cost more than a tube of toothpaste. If you fly enough, you will run across a TSA agent who is on the ball and will notice the liquids are over 4 ounces and will make you toss them. Get a quart size baggie, put your 3 ounce and under liquids in it and check the rest. The rules are silly, but they are enforced in many airports.
And, mascara in the tube is a liquid!
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 07:47 AM

I would never fly a dog anywhere just to "meet" someone. The dog can meet your daughter when she comes to visit.

Air travel can be VERY traumatic for pets - and should be done only for serious reasons - as in you're moving or similar - unless you routinely travel with your tiny pet and know the dog doesn't have a problem (many get air sick). They don;t understand it, they don;t like it - and why put the poor thing through this if it's not necessary?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -