Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AIr quality in St Simons?

How are the fires affecting this area?
We have a trip scheduled in 2 weeks
thanks
Old May 14th, 2007, 02:41 PM

It's going to depend on which way the wind is blowing in two weeks. There's no way to tell right now.

Let's hope that the fires will be out in two weeks. If not, well, there is usually a seabreeze coming in from the ocean that will clear the air in St. Simons.
Old May 14th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

are you in the area now? it is so sad and scary with these fires.
Old May 14th, 2007, 11:53 PM

YOU HAVE NOTHING TO FEAR! I live in Brunswick and the air here and on the islands is fine. The fires have burned for about a month, and in that time we've had no more than two or three days with noticeable smoke in this area. Even then, it wasn't significant like they've been having in north Florida and south Georgia. We're directly on the coast, and the sea breezes keep any smoke that may drift this way at bay. Mostly, the smoke seems to blow south into Florida and north-northwest into central Georgia. I drove to Atlanta on Saturday and was stunned to find smoke as dense as fog as far north as Macon. We've seen nothing of that sort here. In fact, it's amazing that we're only 50-60 miles away from the heart of the fires and see no lasting effects, while places as far away as Miami have smoke advisories.

The only thing I'd advise you to be on the lookout for is travel -- a stretch of I-10 was closed along both sides of Lake City, Fla., over the weekend and I-75 was closed both north and southbound from there to the Georgia stateline. In fact, I-75 -- the busiest interstate in the nation -- was closed Saturday and Sunday at Valdosta. Sunday afternoon, another fire forced the closure of I-95 north of Jacksonville to the Georgia state line. Essentially, that cut off the state of Florida to interstate traffic entirely for a time ... TRULY SCARY!

Hopefully you'll be flying into Brunswick-Golden Isles or driving in from the north. I'd avoid Florida until further notice.

Old May 15th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

thanks so much! We will be driving down from Atlanta, where about 2 weeks ago we had smoke haze here--and I live in N. Atlanta!

Looking forward to some peaceful days in your beautiful part of the country
Old May 17th, 2007, 01:26 PM

If the winds are right you may get to enjoy the fragrance wafting from the paper mills. I'd rather smell the fires. Enjoy the Golden Isles.
Old May 17th, 2007, 09:22 PM

IRONY OF IRONIES ... today we had the worst air quality YET because of the fires - visibility of about 1/4 mile and thick, brown haze that seemed to worsen throughout the day. Alas, they even issued alerts and told everybody to stay indoors. NOT GOOD! But fortunately a strong line of storms came through this evening to push the smoke out to sea, and the forecast for the weekend/week ahead is bright sunshine and cool nights/pleasant days. This doesn't feel like late spring on the Georgia coast!

As for your comment about the "paper mill smell" ... it's not nearly as noticeable as it was years ago, thanks to new technology and the EPA enforcing rules to limit emissions from the pulpwood operations. Besides, as folks in Savannah used to proudly exclaim years ago when Union Camp stunk up the town, "Smells like money!"

ALSO ... that smell many people mistakenly THINK is caused by paper mills is sometimes, in fact, the marsh at low tide baking in the hot sun. The wetlands have a distinct smell that turns some people's stomachs. To me it smells like home!

Have a safe trip!
Old May 20th, 2007, 12:18 PM

Any update on fires and smoke? We are arriving late on Friday. Is driving on 95 at night tough with the smoke? Thanks