Search

Air Fare purchase

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 08:26 AM
Lori Bittner

Air Fare purchase

I am planning to attend a wdding in Puerto Rico late Sept Does it make sense to purchase ticket now or wait till the time is closer? I am not seeing any good deals at this time. Is there any way of knowing to wait, or not to wait-then again it could get worse later on. Any thoughts from anyone? Thanks

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 08:38 AM
jabez

This is a true "depends" and "who knows?" type of question. It depends on where you are flying from (which airline),historical prices, current sales,etc.
And then,really no one knows. Not even the airlines!Things can change. My best quess is that I would try and get my ticket outside of 30 days when there was a sale.I might be able to help with more info.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 08:40 AM
Statia

To be honest, there's not any real way of knowing if the fares will go up or down. I've had them go up on me within minutes and was stuck with the higher price.

I generally tell friends of mine coming down to the islands to price the fares for awhile and when they find a good deal, book it without hesitation.

Another option is to ask your travel agent what he or she feels the fares might do. At times, they know of upcoming specials. A good agent will also keep checking fares for you and notify you when the price drops. But, you can also do this yourself on the web.

What part of the country are you coming from? Maybe one of us can tell you if the fare is a good one or not.

Good luck.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 09:06 AM
Lori Bittner

Well thanks for your thoughts, We are flying from Philadelphia to San Juan. So far I have seen $700.00 for 2 round trip. That is the best, however, right now for instance in August, I could get it for $600.00 for 2 round trip. In June I got a promotional for $284.00 Per person round trip. Don't figure. Sept. is not a highly traveled month I wouldn't think, kids going back to school. It is in the thick of hurricane season also. I think I will wait till within the 30 day period. Take my chances and see what happens.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 09:41 AM
Statia

That's what I would do, too, Lori. I know that people usually get fares lower than $700 from that part of the country. I'm thinking that the average is anywhere from $400 to $600, usually.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 11:53 AM
Jim Rosenberg

Hang on a minute. Are you saying you're seeing $700 for TWO round-trips, as in $350 each? If so, you might be taking a big gamble to wait it out for the chance to save less than $60 per seat (judging by the lowest price you've seen and assuming it gets that low again).

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 12:32 PM
Paula

Lori, I would search on Orbitz or Expedia web-sites, they generally have the best deals and book the lowest price that you find. Since you are traveling for a wedding, you are not as flexable with your dates. If you book a ticket now at one price and the airline has a sale, some airlines such as US Airways or Northwest will give you a voucher for the difference that can be used on a future flights. I would not wait too long to purchase my ticket because lots of cruise ships sail out of San Juan (I'm assuming that's your destination) and the airfares generally are expensive. Good Luck

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 12:45 PM
linda

Lori,
try going to sidestep.com and downloading their program. If you don't want it, you can always delete it. It shows side-by-side comparisons of all rates. For me, it's paid off BIG time. I found out which carriers did what routes, then went to the web sites and found even better deals!
I have AMEX card for Delta- we're taking 2 trips, buying the tickets between July 15-Aug 15 when they offer double airline points for all purchases. (That way, we'll get 2 more free air trips next year)
BTW...just read where 3 airlines have raised prices. I think I would try not to wait beyond Aug 1. This is a big event, and you don't want to gamble on not getting there.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 05:01 PM
Statia

Lori,

I must have missed your saying that TWO round trip tickets would be $700. I would book that in a heartbeat if it were me.