transportation in New Orleans

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 01:54 PM
eric

Hello!

My friend and I are staying at the Hyatt Regency and wanted to know an inexpensive means of transportation to and from the airport.

Also, is there any need for a car in New Orleans? I know the hotel has a shuttle to the French Quarter, but are there any areas we should explore which would require a car?

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 02:37 AM
Cindy

A cab from the airport is about $24 - the hotel shuttle is probably cheaper, but you may be the last hotel to be dropped off and riding around town in the shuttle isn't my idea of fun when you're in New Orleans! We've been there 6-7 times and never needed a car. Cabs are plentiful and most tours that are located away from the city will pick up at your hotel. Once you get to the Quarter, most sights are centrally located. Have fun!

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 07:43 AM
travellyn

I tend to be a pennypincher, but in NO, I've finally settled on taking a cab to and from the airport. A cab is not very expensive if you share - prices are regulated. As I recall, the airport shuttle wasn't a lot cheaper.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 08:11 AM
Dan Stevens

Cabs are now $28 for one OR two people to/from the airport. The shuttle is still $10 per person and, as previously mentioned, may stop several times prior to your stop. I always take a cab when in NOLA.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 09:07 AM
J Correa

We spent a week in New Orleans and never needed a car. Cabs are plentiful and so are buses. We got a 3 day transit pass which allows unlimited rides on buses and streetcars. Also, the city is flat so walking is a great option.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 05:02 PM
Ben

I say leave the car. Parking is difficult & can be expensive. If you park in the wrong spot they can boot or tow your car. Not worth the hassle in my mind. In the city the transportation system is convenient & cheap enough. Take cabs if you are unsure at night. You would only need a car if you were wanting to take trips outside the city that weren't part of a tour.

Have fun!