Reload this Page >

Afternoon Tea in New York city

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 06:29 PM
angie

Hi , iam looking for the best place for a traditional afternoon tea, i have visited the following places
Danal,Anglers and Writers,Tea and Sympathy,ABC parlour,The pierre,St Regis, The Lowell and The Plaza and was looking for a new place to try.
Has anyone had tea at the Mark hotel or the Kings Carriage House?
Thanks in advance
Angie

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 08:58 PM
coco

You might try Lady Mendl's in The Inn at Irving Place. Really very, very lovely and quite different than the hotel experience. Zagat Survey says think of it as therapy and it won't seem so overpriced!

Old Jul 14th, 2001, 10:58 AM
Caitlin

Angie, would you mind sharing your impressions of afternoon tea at the St Regis, the Lowell, and the Pierre? Which did you like best? Which had the best food, best service, and how would you characterize the atmosphere of each? Were the prices about the same at all three?

I know the Palace does afternoon tea, too, but I haven't been there or to the others you asked about.

Old Jul 14th, 2001, 12:55 PM
Carol

I would consider a traditional Japanese tea. There is a famous place in the seventies right side of Madison. If you have never had those intricate Japanese deserts you are in for a treat. You might want to stroll up and down Madison avenues 68-80th it has several very French, Italian eateries dedicated exclusively to dessert. I have not found a higher concentration of purely authentic European dessert (I want to call them ) dinning rooms because they are that grand. In many a host in a suit seats you. These places are very similar to the cafés in their home countries. Whatever you do enjoy!

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 08:31 PM
patty

The Japanese tea room is called Toraya, at 17 E. 71st St between Fifth & Madison. I haven't been there yet but it sounds cool. I have, however, had lunch at The Tea Box which is in the Japanese department store Takashimaya at 693 Fifth Ave between 54th & 55th. It was a very elegant and peaceful experience.

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 05:03 AM
Julie

I have to second Coco's recommendation of Lady Mendl's. I've lived in NYC for approx. 20 years and was only recently taken there for tea to celebrate my birthday. It was absolutely charming - I felt like I was in an Edith Wharton novel. I believe they only have 2 seatings and since they are so unique, reservations in advance are a must. There info is: Lady Mendl's, The Inn at Irving Place, 56 Irving Place (betw. 17th & 18th Streets) 212-533-4466.

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 06:09 AM
John

Try the Villard House at the Palace Hotel on 50th and Madison. Has one of the best afternoon teas in the city.

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 12:31 PM
Frank

Don't forget Fauchon's on Park Avenue and 56th Street. Very French and very expensive.