Aflac supplemental insurance

Old Dec 18th, 2007, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

Aflac supplemental insurance

Has anyone who actually participated in this have any comments about buying into it long-term? I don't want to pry about your use of it, just trying to poll to see if I should consider it. Thank you!
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 09:49 AM

I think you need to post this on the Lounge.
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 10:33 AM

Hi ninasdream:
We have Aflac at our company and think itís great. Even though I canít really comment on the long-tem insurance I do know the accidental policy and cancer policy are very good. We had an employee diagnosed with cancer 1 Ĺ after enrolling in it and they paid her. No one wants to have cancer but, it is nice to know that you will have one less thing to worry about if absent from work for an extended period of time. This was the case for the employee. When she was diagnosed they gave her money, while she was hospitalized they paid her for every day there. Hope this helps.
Gina
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 11:19 AM

We don't have Aflac, but we have disability policies. We have policies through our jobs, which pay 2/3 of our salaries if we are unable to work - both short term and long term disability. We also have a short and long term disability policies we took out ourselves which will make up the balance between our normal salaries and the pay out from the policies through our jobs.

My brother-in-law is 38 and was just diagnosed with cancer - he started chemo yesterday and is scheduled for 12 weeks of it, after which, they will reassess him to determine if he needs additional surgery or treatment. So he will be out of work for at least 4 months total. He has a small disability policy through his employer, but it isn't nearly enough to cover his family's living expenses. I honestly do not know what they are going to do.
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

thank you so much for taking the time to answer & share some details. It really helped me out. JCorrea - I will keep a good thought for your BIL.
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 10:36 AM

Thanks nina. I think he will need all the good thoughts he can get.