Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Moab, Torrey, Boulder - Sunrise & Sunset Locations

Old Dec 12th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

I'm going to be sleeping over in Moab, Torrey & Boulder in mid-May 2008.

I'm making a list of sunset & sunrise photo opp locations.

Moab
sunrise or early morning
Arches NP: Double Arch, Landscape Arch, Turret Arch
Canyonlands Island in the Sky: Mesa Arch

sunset or late afternoon
Delicate Arch
Park Avenue
Courthouse Towers
Balanced Rock

Any for Torrey (Capitol Reef) and Boulder?
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 05:54 PM

Negro Bill Canyon is good at sunset. You can photo the canyon, sunset, and colorado river all together. If you take a Hummer tour to Negro Bill Canyon, it is very scary. I threatened to walk several times. I didn't do Delicate at sunrise, but I think it would be just as impressive as sunset and probably not near as many people. Park Avenue cast great shadows (my shots were late afternoon, but would be good in morning as well I think). PA along with 3 Gossips were some of my favorite photos I took. Mesa Arch is fantastic at sunrise. Be sure at Delicate to walk below it and all around it. A lot of people just shoot it just as they make the final turn around the bend. There is a good place to take a picture of an arch with Delicate in the background just before you get to the final turn. It is an arch within an arch shot. We did Landscape in the morning (hiked all the primitve trail) not great for sunrise, but we had it pretty much to ourselves. Haven't been to Cap Reef, but sure want to go sometime. We did a flyover at Canyonlands and I got some good pics of Chocolate Drops and the Confluence. They were a lot bigger than what I expected them to be. You just can't tell how big things are from an aerial photo. Dead Horse is mighty nice to photograph also. We were there last of May and 1st of June. Afternoons were a little on the warm side, but certainly tolerable to us. Everyone said how busy it was, to us it didn't seem crowded at all.
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 08:53 AM

The Hogsback section of scenic Hwy 12 just south of Boulder hacs many pullout that would be good spots for sunset shots. That's where I got this one a few years ago:

http://www.pbase.com/peterb/image/21314981
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. Some good ideas to write in my little book.

Has anybody been to Sunset Point (I think it is) in Capitol Reef at sunset?
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 10:20 AM

We watched the sunset at Sunset Point in Capitol Reef on a clear evening a few years ago. A nice short walk from the parking lot to some beautiful view points. The sun really makes the distant cliffs turn very red, and the Henry mountains also lit up nicely beyond. The color palette keeps changing every few minutes. Only a couple of other people were there and that is what makes Capitol Reef special. This was one of myfavorite experiences while being in Utah.
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

gwburk,

Thanks.

That's now on the list for that evening.