advice - outside Waikki

Old Jul 29th, 2004, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
advice - outside Waikki

Hi there

My b/f and I will be visiting Oahu in September. we have 6 days/5 nights, and are planning on spending the first 3 days in and around Waikiki, and driving around the island for the remainder. Ive been looking at accommodation at Turtle Bay and I cant find anything other than hostels.... (the Hilton appears to be gone - or perhaps is owned by another hotel group?)Is that the case? Could someone recommend where to stay? Also should we spend 2 nights at turtle Bay or 1 night along the way and just 1 night at turtle Bay?

Many thanks for any suggestions
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 07:31 PM

Turtle Bay Resort is still there; we passed by it during our visit to the North Shore. However, the Hilton doesn't own it anymore.
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 08:16 AM

Hi Kane, if you do a search here on the boards under Turtle Bay Resort you should find lots of info. I think their website is http://www.turtlebayresort.com and you can also find more reviews at tripadvisor.com (they may even have some info on the hostel). It's a great place, we had a similiar trip to yours...Waikiki for most of the week followed with a couple nights at Turtle Bay Resort, after which we didn't want to leave! We considered it pricey at $200 a night (normally spend under $100 in Waikiki), but worth it.

have fun planning!
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 09:57 AM

Turtle Bay used to be the Kuilima Resort many moons ago and sometimes I even see that old name pop up. The current Turtle Bay is in a wonderful location in terms of being a halfway point in your travel around. Personally, I would spend both nights there. If you decide to tour the Waianae Coast as well, be very careful.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 11:47 AM

Just to make things interesting - I got off the phone last night with one of my best friends, who lives in Honolulu as her husband is currently stationed in Pearl Harbor. They went to the Turtle resort this weekend to celebrate thier anniversary and had a thoroughly disappointing trip for what is supposed to be a 5 star hotel - jacuzzis broken (both of them), grounds unkempt, the (unfortunately) typical price gouging for amenities ($3 for a tiny water, $10 for an in-room movie, high "resort fee" cost per day but you don't get your money's worth with the activities - i.e., one free hour of snorkeling but you must pay for further use), prepubescent "local" kids swarming the pool areas, babies in the pool with no protective plastic pants on, strong stale beer smell near the pool from a previous night's beer party, etc. They were pretty bummed out after spending major $$ for a "five-star", and she planned on discussing her experience on epinions.com... Anyways, take this for what it's worth, I guess. Please let us know how it turns out!
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 12:35 PM

How strange, we were just there on May 31-June 2 and it sounds like 2 completely different places. Maybe because it is summer and it's probably much more crowded. There is actually only 1 jacuzzi there, unless your counting the warm, 1 foot deep kiddie pool, which definitely wouldn't be mistaken for a jacuzzi.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 12:41 PM

oops, sorry but accidently pressed post in the middle of typing.

Anyway, we found the grounds to be extremely well maintained, except at the time there was minor construction which meant you had to walk a couple yards on the grass rather than the sidewalk..no biggie. The 2 other pools were hardly full while we were there, and we didn't mind the $12 fee considering most other hotels charge a $10 parking fee anyway. The staff was great. We stayed at Sheraton Waikiki and a couple of other places in Waikiki and just loved the place much better than those. Perhaps the best time for the result before or after summer.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 12:53 PM

There is a moderate price hotel south of turtle bay, in Laie (sp?) adjacent to the PCC grounds. Pretty interesting beach parks a couple miles to the south and north.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 04:20 PM

www.turtlebaycondos.com
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

thanks so much to all for your suggestions - I've found this forum so helpful. I will be sure to post a trip report on my return.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 07:10 PM

btw...AHaugeto is right, I forgot about the 2nd jacuzzi closer to the ocean #-o

good luck with whatever you decide Kane and look forward to reading your TR!
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 07:23 AM

I'm going in March (got a killer deal on flights from the east coast) Saturday to Saturday.

We are also planning on spending a few nights in Waikiki and then want to spend the others elsewhere on the island. Glad to see this post as it has some of the info I wanted.

However 3 questions:

- anyone know anything about SCHRADER'S WINDWARD COUNTRY INN in Kane'ohe?

- seems like Turtle Bay (and maybe Schrader's) is/are the only other "non-hostel/backpacking" type hotel(s) outside of Waikiki/Honolulu. Is there anything else on the island for hotels not in Waikiki/Honolulu?

- Postal says "If you decide to tour the Waianae Coast as well, be very careful.". What is meant by this? Is the terrain bad, the driving difficult, is it a "bad" area?

Thanks - looking forward to the trip - never been to any part of Hawaii before.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 08:26 AM

Bart...as viking mentioned, there is a small hotel near North Shore, close to PCC, it's called Laie Inn. I think I remember seeing discounts for them in the 2004 entertainment book (%50 off rack). Tripadvisor.com has mixed reviews though.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 05:06 PM

You might try Keiki Beach Bungalows. Do a google search and you will find many favorable comments -- rustic but fantastic location.
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 04:02 AM

Thanks for the suggestions.

ggrtist - I guess I glossed over vikings post - but you are right, tripadvisor does not have the best things to say on Lanaie.

orderby - I actually did see a post about KeiKi and have emailed them - they have some availability for the beachfront ones during our stay, but only for a few nights in the middle of it. It had some nice reviews, so I think we might give it a try for a couple of nights and stay in Waikiki before and after.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 08:53 PM
Original Poster

Just getting back to Postal's earlier comment re the Waianae Coast and the warning to be very careful. In what respect?? Is it a dangerous area??

thanks
Kane
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 09:05 PM

Aloha Kane,

If you like laid back, on the beach, quiet (except for the crashing waves), great shelling, gorgeous views w/ swaying palms, a hammock or two... you'll love Ke Iki... one of my fav spots in the islands.

Enjoy.
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 12:59 AM

The West coast is the poor side of the island and yes, there is a lot of crime.

My husband loves to surf that side, but gave up after having his car broken into several times. More serious crimes are not uncommon in that area as well.