Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Oahu: Recent Reviews of Turtle Bay Resort (Renovations/labor strike, etc...)?

Old Jun 20th, 2005, 03:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,
DH and I are off to Hawaii in August, and are visiting Oahu and the Big Island. Staying 5 nights in Waikiki, and we are then considering another couple of nights at the JW Ihilani or Turtle Bay Resort before heading to the BI. JW is A LOT more expensive for that time. Turtle Bay has a $229/night special, and the website looks gorgeous. We would definitely be interested in exploring the North Shore after our time in Waikiki.

We are looking for a nice, clean, comfortable resort with a great beach, nice pool, and good lunch food. Wondering if anyone has recently returned from Turtle Bay and has any experiences to offer? The last couple of months have had very favorable reviews on Trip Advisor, but I am mostly concerned about any renovations going on or the labor strike I hear so much about. How much is that affecting guests' stays?? Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 06:35 AM

Last night's TV news broadcasts from Honolulu showed footage of the new picket line in front of the hotel. And one of yesterday's Honolulu newspapers included this article about another layoff there:
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../ln/ln13p.html

Don't know how this is directly affecting guests...
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 08:12 AM

Yikes, sounds scary....
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 09:01 AM

There seems to be some management problems at the Turtle Bay Resort.

Here's another interesting article where guests were ripped off.

http://starbulletin.com/2005/06/17/news/story4.html
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the links to those stories. Definitely interesting.

This month's reviews on Trip Advisor are all glowing, so I guess it's not impacting people that much right now. I may book it, especially since the Ihilani has gone up to $439/night for our dates, and Turtle Bay is $229!

Anyone else have recent experiences??
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 07:51 AM

Ouch Beachgirl! Looks like one of those corporate events may be taking over the hotel. If so, then I would definitely want to switch to the Turtle Bay. The management does not sound very good at the tb, just make sure to check your bill Also know that the TB is more desolate re: dining but it is soooo gorgeous. Since you're in Waikiki the north shore will be lovely!
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 10:33 AM

My husband just returned from a 5 day business meeting at Turtle Bay. He said he didn't really notice the pickets, but said the morale and the service at the hotel "were crap".

He got so tired of the bad attitude and food in the restaurants that he and his coworkers would drive miles to eat outside the hotel. He would have switched hotel if there had been anything nearby.

On the positive, the grounds are very beautiful. His room was okay, a bit dated, but not bad.

Hope this helps...it's had to compare $400 to $200 rates. Is there nothing in between?
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 11:21 AM

beachgirl, some thoughts.

1. Location: BEAUTIFUL!!!! The north shore is my favorite part of this island by far! Truly old Hawaii. After five nights in Waikiki, I think you'll love it. Traffic can be a bit slow as it is just a two lane road through the entire north shore area, but I doubt you'd mind.

2. Rooms: Living here, of course I haven't had much reason to stay there. I did once about five years ago. I thought the room was very, very average. But that was before the renovation.

3. Golf: Well, had to mention it with my handle!! The Palmer course is the best course on Oahu IMO.

4. Labor dispute: Doubt it would affect your vacation in any way.

Love the Ihilani as well. But I'd pick Turtle Bay.
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. Travelinwifey: Yeah, we are definitely not willing to pay $438/night at the Ihilani. If the price dropped to the $265 it was earlier this year when I checked prices, then it would be a harder decision. But for the $229/night, we went ahead and booked Turtle Bay. There must be a convention at Ihilani.

Travelinandgolfin: Thanks for the great thoughts! We would most likely dine off site, trying restaurants in Haleiwa, since there are a few there that appeal to us. The location does look wonderful, and seems like a nice change from Waikiki. I'm sure the service will be a bit spotty because of the disputes, though.

Txgrandma: For resorts outside of Waikiki, I think it's the Turtle Bay or Ihilani -- not much in between!

Right now our itinerary is:
5 nights Outrigger Waikiki
3 nights Turtle Bay
5 nights Fairmont Orchid on the BI (although I am trying to Priceline our BI stay -- no luck yet.)