Advice needed for upcoming Atlanta area trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2010, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in the Atlanta area soon on business and need some information about the area. My hotel is outside the downtown area, near the Cobb Galleria Center and Cumberland Mall. I have to take a shuttle to/from the airport so unfortunately I won't have a rental car. After work hours, I'll have my evenings free, but is there anything interesting to do around my hotel that I can access without a having a car? It doesn't look like public transportation to downtown Atlanta is an easy or practical option (please correct me if I'm mistaken here); besides, the touristy attractions like the CNN tour or the Coke museum are already closed by then. Walking around the Cumberland Mall is an obvious choice since I like to shop, but when I looked up the store directory listing, there doesn't seem to be anything different from stores at home.

Also, I'm a bit of a foodie. Are there any local food specialties I should try? Maybe some good southern BBQ?
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 08:23 AM

That Cumberland mall area is fairly typical suburban sprawl, meaning it's designed for people with cars and not pedestrian friendly. And as you have discovered, the malls aren't that great and most of the dining is the chain variety. There's a decent movie theater nearby though, Parkway Pointe, which is on Cobb Parkway.

Cobb County does have a transit system, if you want to look up the bus schedules and venture into the city. The nearby neighborhood of Vinings has some cute shopping areas and good restaurants too, if the bus goes there.
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info.
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 11:23 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
You are pretty much in the middle of nowhere as far as sightseeing options. Ask your hotel if they offer shuttle service to restaurants within a certain radius. I know of some good sushi restaurants in the area. Cobb opted out of the metro transit system so the best option into town would be a taxi. Vinings is okay but not a lot to see. Cumberland is not one of the better malls. Hate to say it, but you are pretty much stuck in an island of commerce. Check the events at the Cobb Energy center to see if there's a show you may be interested in.

Use google maps to search nearby for restaurants and other options. If you decide to rent a car for some of your stay, you can get good rates on Priceline.

Wish I had more positive comments, but without a car...
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 11:28 AM

If you are on expense account, get a ride (hotel shuttle or taxi) to Canoe for dinner -

4199 Paces Ferry Road Northwest, Atlanta
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 11:38 AM

Agree - you are completely lost in that area without a car. And be careful walking anywhere. Drivers up there are not used to pesky pedestrians getting in their way.
Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks starrs and Brian for your replies. So it's not just in southern California where you can't survive without a car

starrs, I came across Canoe in my other research and it sounds good. Glad to know a Fodorite recommends it. I'll see if I can try to eat there.
Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 12:46 PM

I live down the street from Canoe. Good dining choice. Seasonal menu. Good wine list. Dinner is a small plate and an entree. There is also a dessert menu. It is on the banks of the Chattahoochee River. In the fall, heavy rains caused the river to overflow its banks and flood the restaurant. Canoe closed for a couple of months for renovations and has since reopened. Behind the maitre'd stand, there is a line painted on the wall to show how high the flood waters reached. Just a little background info...

I would check the Cobb Energy Centre for the dates you are in town to see if there are any performances. It is across the street from the Galleria.
Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 02:28 PM

Not sure when you are coming, but the Cinderella by the Atlanta Ballet is there from Feb 4 - 14.

http://www.cobbenergycentre.com/

The venue is very nice. Your hotel may be in walking distance.

Blu Sushi is VERY good probably not walkable, depending on where your hotel is.