Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Atlanta area and hotel recommendations, please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2005, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all.

It is time, once again, for my husband and 13 y.o. son to roam the country in their quest to visit each and every pro baseball stadium. They have done much of the west coast. Last year, they did the northeast coast; this year, they're headed to the southeast.

They need a hotel in Atlanta for the first 3 nights of their trip. They will be attending a game one night, and sightseeing during the days.

None of us know Atlanta, other than that Buckhead is supposed to be nice. What are some of the areas that they should consider staying in? Any particular hotels that you recommend? I hesitate to give a price range, because I don't know the market at all. Suffice it to say, nothing real fancy and no dives. I would definately consider a Priceline bid, once I get a handle on the areas.

Any "must see" recommendations will also be gladly accepted! Thanks.

Old Mar 31st, 2005, 06:12 PM

Buckhead is the center of nightlife, and close to many restaurants.

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza right near Lenox Square Mall two years ago. It was quite nice, and a great location. I believe it was in the neighborhood of $150/night back then, but we did not go through Priceline.

A slightly cheaper alternative is the Doubletree Hotels right on Peachtree (a block or so down from the Crowne Plaza)--I think that's maybe at $125--fine but not ritzy.

Must dos in Atlanta:
* The Coke museum--all the colas from around the world you care to drink
* CNN Center studio tour
* Underground Atlanta--just an underground mall, but it should be fun
* Stone Mountain--if your husband and son are going after Memorial Day, they should plan on doing the laser light show on the great lawn. Quite unique. I assume, of course, that they'll have a car (a basic necessity in Atlanta), but it is a good 45 minutes or so from Buckhead, but could be almost a full day trip. They could climb to the top or take the tram, take a train around.
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 11:08 PM

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...Presocia&fid=1

The link is to a discussion in summer 2004 about two different Westin locations in Atlanta. If you scan down through the posts, you may find the report back from the original poster to be helpful in providing ideas for your husband and son.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 03:00 AM

Irego--
I suggest you try pricelining Buckhead or Midtown 1st. I do not recommend staying in downtown as there is little to do, especially at night. I pricelined a 4* room for a friend in Buckhead for $81/nt and she got the Grand Hyatt which is a fabulous place in a terrific location. It's close to MARTA so they can cab (or take the hotel's shuttle?) to the station and then ride the train to Turner Field if they don't want to drive. They will want a car for just about everything else though.

Perimeter would be another area to bid on if you can't get Bhead or Midtown. It also has train access though it's slightly farther out.

Coffeeaddict had good suggestions for your 13 yr. old. World of Coke is just ok, tell your husband not to expect fascinating If they go there, they will be right next to Underground Atlanta which really isn't doing well and attracts an um, interesting clientle, esp. after dark. I would not go out of my way to go there. If they want to shop, Buckhead is the place to be!

Some other ideas of things to do are:
Atlanta History Center--something your husband and son would probably like
Carter Center and Library
Martin Luther King Center
Centennial Park

Tell them to have a burger at the Vortex. There is one in midtown and another in Little 5 Points.

Hope this helps!
OWJ

PS A little trivia your son and husband might find interesting--Stan Kasten, pres. of the Braves, met Ted Turner when touring ballparks after law school. Ted wasn't well known at the time but Stan recognized him and approached him. Their conversation led to Stan getting an interview and subsequently hired. As you can tell, he's moved his way up to the top of the foodchain.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 04:19 AM
iceeu2

Iregeo, I have to say that the downtown 4* hotels may not be a bad idea. Your husband and son probably are not into nightlife anyway, and I have noticed on biddingfortravel.com that lots of people are getting the Omni downtown for $56-$60 thru priceline. If they should be lucky enough to get the Omni that is right at CNN center.
Go to biddingfortravel.com...and read read read...that way you all can determine the area they will want to stay in.
My take...Downtown or Buckhead..

Old Apr 1st, 2005, 04:56 AM

I agree with iceeu2.

First, try priceline.

Second, don't forego downtown. You should be able to find an awesome deal. Spring and Summer brings conventions galore to downtown ATL. Although their is not as much "nightlife", there are restuarants and easy access to MARTA. If you have a car, I would definetly stay downtown.

Enjoy your visit.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 05:05 AM

I agree. I live in the area and have gotten great deals via Priceline. After checking biddingfortravel.com, I'd bid for 4* first and then open up for 3* if I didn't get what I wanted at the lower prices. I've been very pleased. I do like the Wyndhym Midtown but any of the Priceline hotels in the area are good. I've gotten great deals for 4* Downtown too.

In other words, I'd start the bidding with 4* Midtown at a low price, add Downtown if nothing comes up, then add 3*. If I didn't get something then, I'd just drop it for the 3 days required and retry.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 07:28 AM
iceeu2

starrsville, just checked priceline, they do not offer 4* Midtown...3* is highest level in Midtown...

Old Apr 1st, 2005, 09:51 AM

Buckhead does have more going for it than Midtown or Downtown. The area even has its own website: www.buckhead.net

For someone not familiar with driving in Atlanta, public transport (MARTA) might be a less stressful way to get to and from "The Ted", but its not as simple as "take a train to the stadium". One must switch to a shuttle bus at the 5 Points station. www.itsmarta.com

Atlanta's landmark greasy spoon hotdog/hamburger joint is The Varsity on North Avenue at Spring Street - just across I-75/85 (the downtown connector) from Georgia Tech. They even have a website: www.thevarsity.com

Regardless of where they stay, they might enjoy dinner one night at ESPNZone (yes, on Peachtree) in Buckhead.

And, to update the above Stan Kasten trivia, "Stan has left the building". He left AOL-Time Warner over a year ago when they started peddling their sports franchises. They did in the end keep the Braves, but sold the Hawks and Thrashers.

Whatever they do, they'll have a great time.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 05:29 PM

Another suggestion on the hotel hunt:

I recentlly used www.hotelclub.com to book hotel in Atlanta. They have some interesting prices, and you can choose your hotel. Take a look.

Have not used my hotel reservations, so cannot comment on how well their (HotelClub) system works.

FYI: La Quinta - Perimeter #168 for double room (2 double beds - $61.00 night total) Hotel located 3 blocks north of Medical Center (MARTA Sta.)
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 06:30 PM

Sorry...you are right, iceeu2. I should have said to start with Buckhead, then add Downtown with 4*. I've added Midtown then and gotten one of the previous area 4* by widening the bid. If not, then adding 3* (without raising the price) has gotten me into some nice hotels...in all 3 zones.

Iregeo, you may also want to check the hotel websites. The AmeriSuites near Lenox Mall (Buckhead) offered a $99 rate for quite a while. Good location and it's always nice having a kitchen area.

Most of the Hampton, AmeriSuites, Courtyards, etc. will be fine in the Buckhead and Midtown areas. I'd be careful with that grouping in Downtown...some of the locations are "iffy".
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 06:46 PM

Was a resident of the area for 20 years...I would not want to stay downtown if I did not have to...there are some great hotels but night is typical big city downtown. I would try for the Buckhead area, lots and lots of hotels, what type of price pt are you going for? There is really any and all rates. Besides my team (Braves), what do they want to do? More sports? Fernbank science center? Stone Mountain? Paintball? Are they after a museum thing?
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the replies. Now, I'll do some homework and let you know where they end up.

Cesta, I don't know what they'll want to do. I KNOW they won't want to go to museums, because my husband is an unclutured swine! But, they love to get a feel for all new cities, use public transport, and see some major sights. My husband also loves to visit university campuses. Any suggestions?

The CNN studio tour sounds neat, in part because my son is becoming interested in broadcast journalism. I think they'll also enjoy the Atlanta history center, and the Carter and MLK centers.

What is Stone Mountain? Can you get there by public transport? Do they really need a car for a 3 day visit?

Thanks for the info.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 07:28 PM

Depending on where you stay in Midtown or Downtown...you could be in walking distance of GA Tech.

Even if you or not in walking distance, you will be able to catch Marta a short distance to get to the campus.

Believe your son would enjoy the CNN center tour. I visited for the first time in over 10 years. Forgot how cool it was. History and MLK centers are also cool.

Cannot to get to Stone Mountain without a car. It is a park located due east of Atlanta.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 07:38 PM

Stone Mountain is a big park with some pretty cool old southern buildings on the grounds. The cablecar to the top of the massive stone (hence stone mtn) is a nice ride and the view is great. It has the carvings of the generals on the face but the laser show at night is the winner here. Yep, you need a car, perhaps a longer trip too! (hehe) The public transportation is MARTA, the subway system that goes about anywhere within the perimeter (surrounding highway) and some outside of it too. I agree with CNN center tour. I actually went to one of the universities there, Emory U. and it has a beautiful campus. GA tech is downtown, an okay campus but in the city so not so green, alot of concrete. Absolutely fab restaurants everywhere!! Good eats, good junk food and a fabulous farmer's market too! Ask away.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 08:16 PM
Original Poster

I think I'll try for Buckhead, but, if they do end up downtown, is it safe at night? Will there be casual places to eat? Thanks again.
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 03:09 AM
iceeu2

Irego...since your husband is an uncultured swine..he will be fine downtown. Don't know about the safety (if you mean walking around after dark), but if it's after a game, you know the saying..safety in numbers. Downtown is The Hard Rock Cafe if they like to pick up their tee shirts from a city. If they should stay at the Omni, there's a great food court connected to it and Phillips Arena. And, that's also where CNN Center is.
Tough choice, but you have gotten lots of good advice here, so just read and do your homework.

Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I will. I would be more comfortable with them in Buckhead. I lost my Priceline bid last night so I'll try again in 3 days.

Thanks for all the info!
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 05:38 AM

Iregeo- downtown is not a nasty place, it is just a big city with some unsavory characters like any city. I used to go there frequently to ab-fab restaurants but always with people. It has some great hotels but it is not a place to cruise around after 8pm. Buckhead is very safe, it is the action-bar scene but again, they will not be doing that sort of stuff. Downtown is closer to the stadium but if conventions are in town, a bit too pricey. Having said that, all the kids I know get a thrill from riding the glass enclosed elevators in the huge hotels downtown. Used to be able to get some $99 and lower prices around Buckhead...Embassy Suites, Sheraton,etc.
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 07:33 AM

ditto to cesta.

Downtown ATL is fine at night. Same as any other big city. Because there is less to do, there are less people. You should also know, that Buckhead attracts the "party" crowd on weekend evenings and can get a little rowdy. But it's all in good fun.

Just know to take whatever precautions you would normally take regardless of where you are.

Know that I work in the Midtown area and frequent this area and Downtown by foot regularly at night for dinner and/or cocktails with co-workers.

No problemo!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -