Advice for Vegas, PLEASE

Old Aug 11th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice for Vegas, PLEASE

Hi all,

Looking for advice on Vegas shows. Planning to see 1)Le Reve, 2)Love, 3)Penn & Teller, 4)Tony & Tina's Wedding and 5)Price is Right. Any and all opinions are appreciated.

Also, P&T plays at the Rio. The show begins at 9:00 PM and runs for 90 minutes. At 10:30 PM on a Wednesday night should there be any trouble getting luggage from Rio storage, jumping in a cab and making an 11:45 PM flight out of McCarran?

Thanks in advance,
vvv352
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 01:46 PM

On a good day/night McCarran Airport can be a zoo, you need to be there at least 90 min. before flight - and now with hightened security I'd say a min. of 2 hrs. - you cannot be serious about leaving a show at 10:30, getting luggage (even if that takes only a few minutes), getting a cab, and being to the a/p in time to make your flight ?

Wed. may be a slow air traffic night (but who knows) but street traffic in Vegas is always hectic.

I'd schedule a later flight, stay over till morning OR do not go to P&T.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 01:50 PM

<<At 10:30 PM on a Wednesday night should there be any trouble getting luggage from Rio storage, jumping in a cab and making an 11:45 PM flight out of McCarran?>>

First of all, you don't get out of any show, retrieve your luggage in seconds and instantly jump in a cab...you wait in line with other showgoers.

Secondly, have you seen the news in the past 36 hours? No way you breeze through the airport in that time frame.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 02:38 PM

Even on a normally slow night in Vegas without the heightened security I would NOT start to leave my hotel at 10:30 to make a 11:45 flight. What happens if there is a wait at the cab line, or the bell desk is really busy and you have to wait 10-20 minutes for your bags to come out. What if there is an accident on Flamingo and the traffic is creeping along. I just think you are cutting it way to close, I'm not saying it can't be done, but I would be a nervous wreck thinking about it during the whole show, I wouldn't be enjoying myself at all. Like I said, even on a "what we call slow nights in Vegas", I wouldn't cut it that close.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 02:54 PM
TheWeasel

A number of airlines close flight and baggage check-in at McCarran 45 minutes prior to departure, instead of the more usual 30 minutes. Assuming your airline has that restriction in place, you'd have to be at the airport with your bags checked by 11pm. Very doubtful that you'd be able to get that done.

Old Aug 11th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all. Don't know what I was thinking. I guess it was "wishful" thinking. Wednesday Sept. 6 is the last night of my Vegas trip and the only night Penn & Teller are performing during my stay. I'll need to consider antoher show.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Tess

We stood in the security line over two hours yesterday in Las Vegas. People were missing their planes left and right. Hopefully things have calmed down a bit since then but your timetable is just not workable--you will miss the plane, even without the orange security alert.

Of the 5 shows you mentioned, we've only seen Penn and Teller--honestly, I about fell asleep during the show. It was boring and just not 'Vegas-like.' I estimate that we waited in the taxi line for 15-20 minutes after the show--since Rio's not on the strip, just about everyone wants a taxi.

Have you been to any of the Cirque du
Soleil shows? My husband and I saw "O" at Bellagio a few years ago and Mystere at Treasure Island with our two teens this week and enjoyed both (Mystere especially). I've heard raves about Love but couldn't talk my family into going with me

Have a great trip.

Old Aug 11th, 2006, 06:08 PM

Le Reve is a great show.
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 11:36 AM

We just got back from Vegas and I would allow at least 2 hrs from hotel to flight. As noted above, it's a zoo at the airport. We saw O and thought it was pretty good (not great). However, Mystere is awesome (IMHO). Enjoy!
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 05:22 AM

Hi:
I would suggest Ron Lucas who does an afternoon show at the RIO. Check out his www.nolips.com site.
He is very good and the price is great.
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 07:39 AM

Sadly, the Ronn Lucas show is no longer playing at the Rio. He'll be at the Aladdin (aka Planet Hollywood) pretty soon, but no opening date has been set.