Search

Advice?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice?

Hello everyone! Thought maybe some locals or previous visitors of Maine could help me. I am planning my first ever trip to Maine for early May. I'll be flying into Portland and would like to drive south first - visit Kennebunk/Kennebunkport, possibly Ogunquit for the Marginal Way (is it worth it?) and thought about hitting Old Orchard Beach (also worth it?). The majority of the time will be spent north - along the coast. Is there anything I should definitely plan on seeing - besides Acadia National Park? What about Monhegan Island? None of the sightseeing boats/cruises are sailing that early in May, but I thought about taking the mail boat. Sorry for the long post, but I'm beginning to wonder what I should see and what I should pass up on this first trip. I'll be in Maine for a total of 6 days. Thanks!
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 03:59 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Buffy, I suggest you title your post with the words Family Trip to Maine, or Spring Roadtrip Maine, or something like that.

Because all threads end up on the general United States board... titles like Advice? or Advice con't may not catch the eye of people who have the answers to your questions.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 03:57 AM

Early May can be iffy weather but you will be able to alter your plans if you get some bad weather. Yes, the Marginal Way is a beautiful walk along the cliff overlooking the beaches/ocean. We live in NH but have never bothered with Old Orchard Beach. The popular beach area for people we know seems to be York Beach but I doubt if you'll find much open except for some great sandy beaches. It's traditional to watch the taffy pulling machine at the Goldenrod and to walk to Nubble Light. It's going to be very cold on the water even on what feels like a warm day. We took a boat trip in mid-June and the crew handed out blankets! Monhegan is still on our list. Most of the resort towns south of Portland are very popular and will probably be busy even in May. Portland is a great city to visit esp if you get a rainy day. Do some shopping in the Old Port area, visit the Public Market,etc. If you want to visit an art museum on your way north, the Farnsworth in Rockland features Maine artists including the three Wyeths. We tend to stay on Rt 95 until we get to Brunswick and then get on Rt 1. Make a visit to Camden and take the auto road to the top of Mt Batty for the incredible view overlooking Camden harbor. Once you get north of Portland there's not very many sandy beaches. Usually we hunt for the best lobster roll. Some of the lobster shack places might not open until later in May or might be open weekends only. You might want to pick up a copy of a Maine magazine for ideas. Also visit Yankee Magazine's website www.newengland.com. Acadia will be a wonderful visit since you come from the midwest. Great view from the top of Cadillac. Our son biked up while we drove. I would be tempted to go up to see the sunrise if we visit again. Hope you have a great trip!
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice suze - I'll do that. And thank you dfrostnh for the advice. I really appreciate it!
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:14 AM

Hello,
I'm from Freeport although currently living in Austria. Maine is great, but in May you do need to be aware that not many things are open. As previously mentioned, Portland is a great small city with wonderful restaurants (try Fore St.). Visit DeLorme Map in Yarmouth, 15 min. north of Portland, just before Freeport to see their 3 story globe, maybe a midnight visit to LLBean. If you're active, try to do some kayaking in Casco Bay (Portland area) as there are tons of small islands to explore. I'd advise a guide as the water is cold and you'll want the right equipment. If you're into marine history there is the Maine Maritime Museum in Bath and you'll drive by Bath Iron Works where they are still building boats...no longer 3 masted schooners, but naval destroyers. If you have time, you might explore one of the peninsulas as you head Downeast toward Acadia. A drive out to Orr's Island and Bailey's Island (accessible by bridge) gives you a taste of the more remote parts of Maine. When on Mount Desert Island, make sure you check out the other towns on the island, not just Bar Harbor. Definately do the sunrise on Mt. Cadillac, the first place in the US where the sun rises. Also, tea and popovers at the Jordan Pond House in Acadia is a long-standing tradtion.

I would not recommend Old Orchard Beach, not real Maine as far as I'm concerned. Ogunquit and Kennebunkport are nice pretty towns, but I don't think I'd take the time to head south just to see them. I'd head north and do Camden instead. I've never been to Monhegan, but if you can fit it in I'd definately take the mailboat. Another option is the mailboat from Stonington out to Isle Au Haut in Penobscot Bay. Isle Au Haut is part of Acadia so there are hiking trails and Penobscot Bay is one of the most beautiful natural sites you'll want to see. Can you tell I miss Maine! Enjoy and bring your warm clothes. E-mail me if you have more questions, [email protected]