Best Maine Quick First Trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! I have the option to arrive Portland or Bangor airport, and am looking for opinion on the best area to visit. It will be my child, husband, and MIL in June. Would staying in a hotel in Bangor near the airport be too far of a drive to Bar Harbor and Acadia each day? Would we be better off staying in Portland. I am so lost! What would be a good itinerary for a quick three day trip? Suggestions, please!
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 01:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Per Google map Bangor is about 1 1/2 to Bar harbor. Portland is over 3 hours to BH, but a great drive and a chance c lots of fun, interesting small towns.
Is Bar harbor your destination or r u going to Maine and deciding now where to go? If u plan to spend the entire trip in BH, then fly into Bangor, but find a place to stay in BH or Southwest Harbor. I t hunk u might find the drive back and forth a bit of a drag.
If you plan to enjoy more of Maine, then fly into Portland which is a great little city and enjoy a day or two there. then u can take a leisurely drive to BH or wherever u would like to go in Maine.
Have fun!
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

We just want to explore, so it sounds like Portland might be a better choice! Thank you!
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 01:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
We're headed to Maine in June also. We start in Portland for a couple days, move up the coast to Rockland then onto Southwest Harbor. However, we often spend the entire vacation in the Mid-Maine area. Boothbay Harbor has a beautiful garden worth c'ing. Harpswell Penisula is a lovely drive. Bath is a neat little town. If u r into shopping Freeport would be heaven. Reed State Park has nice beaches and swimming or just sunning. Just a few ideas for you. Lots to c & do in that area.
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 01:26 AM

Portland is a great city with an interesting Old Port area. You can take a mailboat cruise of Casco Bay. But, how old is child? Rockland is 2 hours away. I loved the Farnsworth art museum but DH prefers the Owls Head Transportation Museum. We both liked the short, easy hike to Owls Head Light and nice view from there.
Maine Coastal Botanical Gardens near Boothbay would also involved a nice walk.
But, if you want sandy beaches, head south of Portland to places like York and Wells.
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Great suggestions! We are only there for a few days. . .I am sure we will be wishing it was longer!
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 07:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just put PORTLAND MAINE in the "search the forums" box above and you'll get a week's worth of suggestions about where to stay, eat and visit around Portland.