Adults Only Hotel in Hawaii or close to it.

Apr 15th, 2002, 03:27 PM
Diane

Adults Only Hotel in Hawaii or close to it.

My husband and I are in our 40's and we do not have children. On most vacations we typically seek out higher end hotels hoping they would attract fewer families with young children. So before we go down into a rat hole I want to say that we do not hate children it's just that we prefer to spend our vacations in a more relaxing environment (meaning away from young kids).

After quite a bit of research I cannot find a hotel in Hawaii that is an "Adults Only" property. We have booked the Four Seasons on both Maui and the Big Island. I know the Four Seasons on the Big Island has an adults only pool but that's the only restriction on children that I can find. I also know that both of these properties attract many honeymooners so I would suspect that the amount of children at these hotels would be less than at most others like the Hyatt, Westin or Marriott.

So my first question is, does anyone know of any adults only property on any of the Islands in Hawaii? Second, is the Four Seasons the best choice to avoid young children?

Thank you.

Apr 15th, 2002, 03:36 PM
Melissa

I doubt that you will find any hotel billing itself as "adults only." I can tell you that I stayed at the Ritz Carlton once and the sight of children was very rare. The sight of anyone under 30 was very rare! The Four Seasons is probably the same.

Apr 15th, 2002, 03:46 PM
larry

Diane:

I don't know of any resorts in Hawaii that are "adults only" all the time. I understand that the Kona Village Resort on the Big Island (next to the Four Seasons) is couples only during the month of September. The simple solution is to travel when school is in session. You're out of luck with the Four Seasons resorts in Hawaii. They attract lots of children when school is out. In fact, they have extensive children's programs. I have been to both when school was out and there were many children. That didn't bother me. The Four Seasons on the Big Island was quieter, in part because the Wailea property is adjacent to the Grand Wailea, which is big and noisy. On Maui, I understand that the Kapulua Bay Hotel is relatively child-free because they do not have kid programs.

Apr 15th, 2002, 03:52 PM
tani

Discrimination based on age or familial status is illegal in Hawaii. Usually you can avoid lots of kids by doing as you've done- going to expensive places. Sometimes it backfires in that the families who cn afford those places often are used to letting their kids act like little rich kids....

Apr 15th, 2002, 04:13 PM
Tom

Diane, you'll be fine at both FS properties. While kids are present at both, in my experience they're of the very well behaved type, and don't disturb at all, save for maybe some laughing and giggling around the water, etc.

Apr 15th, 2002, 05:48 PM
x

Diane,

I was at the 4S Maui in June last year and I found that there were very few children there compared to other resorts on Maui. The ones that I saw pretty much stayed in the game room or at the children's pool. I saw a few pre-teens enjoying time with their parents by the pool, but in all instances I recall that they were great kids. You'll have a great time.

Apr 17th, 2002, 08:28 PM
mae

4S on big island does not have an adults only pool. we've been there twice and yes, there are lots of children but it's not distracting, there are several pools and children are not banned from any but tend to congregate at the seashell pool where there is an attached kiddy pool and also the snorkeling pond. the other main pool had a small handful of kids but not too bad. there's a lap pool at the spa which has age limitations but that's completely away from the ocean and next to the gym and tennis courts--you probably wouldn't be 'relaxing' there anyway.

Apr 17th, 2002, 08:36 PM
lindafromNJ

The Kona Village Resort on the big Island of Hawaii has adults only in May and September. I have stayed there twice acutally got married there. It is romantic, quiet and beautiful. Even during the months when kids are aloud there are not alot.

Apr 17th, 2002, 09:15 PM
xxx

Mae's incorrect. The navy tiled pool is adults only at FS Big Island. A genreal rule is the more expensive the hotel the less amount of children you'll find. Maui is one of the more touristy islands with things for kids to do. You are taking a chance with the FS there from what I've read on this board. Have stayed at the Kapalua Bay Hotel and there were hardly any kids but some obnoxius adults who loved screaming on their cell phone. The places that have less attractions for families (BI, Lanai, Molokai) will be more quiet. Do not go during the summer months. The airplanes are filled with screaming children and so are the hotels.

Apr 17th, 2002, 10:10 PM
Traveling man

Why does this post remind me of another a few days ago? Someone was looking for places in Hawaii where they could avoid gay culture of any kind. (They didn't hate gays, just didn't want to see them.) Wanted to be sure they stayed somewhere where they would not ever see a gay person. And, gee, haven't even heard from Diane again. I smell a troll.

Apr 18th, 2002, 04:52 AM
Diane

Thank you to all who have posted. I did post last night but for some reason it didn't make it to the board.

We went to Hawaii several years ago and stayed at the Ritz. It was wonderful because there weren't many children (we also went during off season during Nov/early Dec) however we wanted to try another area of Maui this time. I agree with other posters that although the Ritz is indeed very nice it's not real Hawaiian feeling. That's another reason for us choosing the FS. Oh, I also forgot to mention in my original post that we're leaving for Hawaii in May.

I know the usual rule of thumb is that the more you spend the fewer kids you'll usually get but that doesn't seem to apply to Hawaii. We did consider the Kapalua Bay Hotel but again, we wanted to try another area on Maui.

The FS on the Big Island does advertise an adults only pool. Could someone please confirm whether or not this exists. Perhaps the FS is referring to their lap pool on their website?

Apr 18th, 2002, 06:31 AM
larry

Diane:

I went to the FS on the Big Island in June and my understanding is that the Beach Tree pool (the large blue tiled pool) which is heated and next to the Beach Tree bar, is adults-only. I don't know if this is by rule or practice, but when I was there, none of the many children were seen or heard in that pool area.

Diane, you are right that the normal rule about expensive hotels don't apply to Hawaii. The Grand Wailea and the Hyatts on Maui and Kauai are all among the priciest, but they are also loaded with young children when school is out.

As I said before, children don't bother me. Places with too few kids lack a certain vitality. But I understand that many people (including those with children and grandchildren of their own) are really looking for some peace and quiet and avoid places with many children for that reason.

Apr 18th, 2002, 09:42 AM
xxx

Diane, I'm certain about the pool at 4S, go there yearly. Like above, it's the pool next to the beach cafe and closest to the golf course/golf course view(ocean) rooms. There are several large oceanside pools & this is one of them. Fear not! Don't know what to tell you about Maui, we have the same problem and usually visit the other islands instead. Have stayed at a few resorts there (not 4S) found Kap Bay the best noise wise but still don't like the traffic.

Apr 18th, 2002, 12:37 PM
Mjoo

Diane,

Just got back from the FS Wailea three weeks ago. It was a zoo! Lots of children, it may have been because of spring break, but it seemed that everyone was part of a family with small children. Also, long waits for lunch, brunch buffet etc. Also, the FS Wailea is very compact, while the FS on the Big Island is quite large and spread out. I would definately recommend the FS Big Island over the FS Wailea.

Apr 21st, 2002, 07:16 PM
xxx

To Traveling Man:

What someone who doesn't want to be around screaming, bratty children? They'll be more 40 year olds without children wanting vacations to cater to their needs. Let's see how tolerant the so-called open minded ones will be.

Search this Thread