Reload this Page >

Oregon Coast: Towns/Cities to See

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 08:04 AM
Patrick

Hi everyone. My wife and I will be making a trip down the Oregon coast later this year, and are curious about some towns/cities on the Oregon coast worth staying on our way down. We are famililar with Cannon Beach and will stay there, but are looking for any other suggestions any one of you might have.
thanks in advance for your help!
cheers,
Patrick

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 04:13 PM
Patrick

Still hoping for some ideas..anyone? anyone??
Patrick

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 05:27 PM
Glenda

If any of the towns on the Oregon coast were anywhere except on the coast, there would probably be very little to recommend them, but the scenery is amazing and changes as you travel along. The north has long wide beaches with some areas of spectacular cliffs. The south is very rocky. Our favorite place is Yachats which is between Newport and Florence. It is just a village really with several B&Bs and the usual cafes and coffee shops. If you are going to look at towns you're looking for the wrong thing. Stay where the scenery grabs you.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 11:13 AM
Marion

Astoria (close to coast on Columbia), Manzanita, Depoe Bay, Newport, Yachats,
Bandon all have something going for them. All worth a visit. Florence area dunes are great.....town has some worth but less than the above.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 11:30 AM
Suzie

I didn't like Astoria but Newport was nice as was the aquarium there. Liked Bandon by the Sea. Had fun in Cannon beach and Seaside.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 04:02 PM
sister

Newport..and eat at Moe's Place.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 04:26 PM
don

I'm not nessicarily talking about places you may want to stay, but when driving down the coast make sure you stop at Ecola State Park (you'll probably recognize the beach there from pictures you've seen). Also make a stop at the Tillamook Cheese Factory, which is not only interesting, but you can find some really great ice cream. Newport, mentioned already, is a really good choice also.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 05:31 PM
April

Is Newport much better than Lincoln City? I thought it would be nice to stay at the Inn at Spanish Head or the O'dysius Hotel. Good idea or not?

I also like Yachats, Depoe Bay and the dunes. Not as fond of Cannon Beach.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 05:50 PM
xxx

I much prefer Newport as opposed to Lincoln City. The outlet centers are the highlight of Lincoln City.

I second the recommendation for ice cream at Tillamook.

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 10:41 PM
Tim

Lincoln City is 8 miles of mini malls all lined up in an ugly sprawl along the VERY slow moving highway. And the beach is flat and featureless. Not the worst place on the Oregon coast but not very high up from the worst. Newport is light years better and has so much more to offer it's ridiculous to even try and compare them.

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 11:09 PM
April

Mini mall sprawl doesn't sound appealing. Any great places to stay in Newport then? Sorry to be butting in here Patrick, but I'm hoping this information might help you too.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 12:34 AM
Marion

Here are some Newport area lodgings to consider:
Salishan Lodge
1-800-452-2300

Hallmark Resort
1-888-448-4449

Sylvia Beach Hotel
(541) 265-5428
www.sylviabeachhotel.com

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 12:51 AM
Marion

Oh and in the Newport area... For some of the best views on the coast stop at Yaquina Head Outstanding Natural Area on your way into Newport. Beautiful lighthouse views. From Yaquina, you can walk to the Quarry Cove tide pools to peek at hundreds of sea creatures—starfish, sea slugs, anemones, crabs and more.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 11:47 AM
Sara

You have gotten good recommendations thus far. I have read many people don't like Astoria - I don't know why, I have great memories from there. Visit the Astor column, the great marine museum, Ft. Clatsop and walk through the old neighborhoods with lovely old houses. Seaside is touristy but might have some fun things to do. The cheese factory at Tillamook is kinda fun and the ice cream delicious.

They were right about Lincoln City - it is not a place I like to stay, however we do take a day trip from Newport to go to the outlet mall but that is about all it has to offer. Newport I am very familiar with and is great. As mentioned the tide pools are wonderful, with lots to see, the aquarium is world class and well worth several hours, there is a street of touristy shops but also some very nice stuff (great jewelry) and a dock where the sea lions lounge and you can see them up close. There are several great, long beaches in this area too.

I am less familiar with Yachats (ya-hots) but have only heard good things about it. I think there might be some nice B&Bs there if you like those. Florence does have the dunes and I think a cute little downtown. From Florence south Hwy 101 goes inland a little further. South Shore Acres is a beautiful garden down by Coos Bay. Bandon is great at cranberry season, but not so much to do. At Gold Beach there are the jet boats that go up the Rogue River (if you go do the all day, long trip, it just gets exciting where the other trips stop).

I have repeated what others have recommended but it just means I agree with them. The towns may not be fabulous but they are fun if explored with the right attitude. The scenery is spectacular so plan to stop often. There are also many lighthouses and they often have great views.

Do pack for all types of weather. The summer can be cool and foggy, the fall is usually great. The weather moves fast so you will rarely have a day of the same thing. Where ever you go enjoy it is beautiful.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 08:09 PM
Sharon

I am doing the same. Actually I will be going all over the state. I sent for vacation packages from all the cities I want to see. Tons of great information has been sent. I did find that ExtandedStay America www.extstay.com has weekly rates for Eugene Oregon (not that far from the coast) and in Portland Oregon. Great rates. But again get out your map and send for the travel info. Have fun...maybe our paths will cross.