Search

Adirondacks

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adirondacks

I am planning a trip for my parents this Fall. They are driving from Indiana to New Hampshire the first week in October. I was planning on having them stay 2 nights in the Adirondacks, possibly at Mirror Lake Inn? Any feedback? They are driving from Indy to Pittsburgh (to visit a friend) and then Pittsburgh to the Adironacks for 2 nights. What is the drive time from Pittsburgh to Adirondacks? And, what is the approx. drive time from Adirondacks to the western New Hampshire state line?

They are towing their Ford Model A; thus, they will be doing "driving tours" once they get to their locations. I thought the Adirondacks would be a great stop before getting to New Hampshire.

Any feedback (accommodations, locations, driving tours, dining, etc) is much much much appreciated. I would like them to stay at upscale, relaxed, beautiful lodging.

thanks!
Jessica
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 01:15 PM
nkd

Origination: Pittsburgh, PA
Destination: Lake Placid, NY
This Route Distance: 554
This Route Driving Time: 9:50
www.freetrip.com
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 01:56 PM

Just topped another thread ... "Lake Placid in October"...read it for some replies.

I love Mirror Lake Inn!
Debi
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Looks like Lake Placid area might be too far north. Am now thinking Friends Lake, any feedback? Thanks!
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 03:43 PM

I don't know anything about Friend's lake, but have you thought about Old Forge or Inlet?
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 05:00 PM
nkd

Origination: Pittsburg, PA
Destination: Old Forge, NY
This Route Distance: 457
This Route Driving Time: 7:25
www.freetrip.com
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 05:03 PM
nkd

Origination: Pittsburg, PA
Destination: Inlet, NY
This Route Distance: 467
This Route Driving Time: 7:40
www.freetrip.com
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

do you have any lodging suggestions for Old Forge or Inlet? They enjoy small inns or b-n-b's.

Thanks!
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 02:36 AM

I have heard the The Woods Inn in Inlet is nice, it is right on 4th Lake and it was renovated within the last few years. The website is http://www.thewoodsinn.com/contact/contact.html you might also want to check the reviews of it on Tripadvisor.com
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 04:58 AM

Just wanted to comment on The Woods Inn. My husband and I just stayed there for a Saturday night on August 5th. We really liked the place. There are plenty of places to stay in Old Forge and Inlet but this place really had the Adirondack feel I was looking for. They have a pretty good dinner menu and a bar/lounge located on the ground floor. The view was beautiful. Our room even had a jacuzzi bath tub. That was quite a treat for me since we rode to Inlet on our motorcylces from Syracuse. Another perk was The Barn located adjacent to the Inn property. It was a nice gift shop and sold Starbucks coffee.
The only bummer for us about our stay was that the Inn was hosting a BBQ for the community with a band. This took away from the quite peaceful Adirondack evening we were hoping for. They have a beautful wrap around porch with some great lounge chairs. Would have loved to sat there and listened to the night instead of the band and the crowd but we booked last minute and didn't know ahead of time. We were fortunate to even get a room in the first place. Most places require a 2 night stay on weekends but if they get a cancellation late enough in the week they will let out a room for one night. That is how we lucked out.
I would certainly stay there again and I do recommend this place. They have a nice website that gives the history of the Inn.
Hope this helps,
Annika
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the help. they are staying at a new place called The Fern Lodge, I believe it is on Friend's Lake. (I can't remember as I am tired right now!)

Jessica