NY Adirondacks -- 2 nts lodging suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2004, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a family of 4, kids ages 11 and 13, looking for a 2 night stop on our summer road trip to break up the drive from Montreal to Hershey, PA.

I've been researching lodging in the Adirondacks region. Lake Placid is not far enough from Montreal, and I though we might like to be more in the "heart" of the Adirondacks and more away from the crowds than we might be if we stayed at Lake George. Also, many of the places I've seen require weekly stays.

I've got a few places I'm going to call to see if they have availability for 2 nights, so far they are:
The Island View Motel (Lake Luzerne)
Sandy Point Motel (Long Lake)
Holls Inn (Fourth Lake)
Hemlock Hall (Blue Mountain Lake)
Irondequoit Inn (Piseco)

1. Any comments on the above places?

2. Any suggestions for other places, especially smaller, but nice, lakefront motels that perhaps don't show up on an internet search? Anything with a kitchenette or 2 BR is a plus, but not necessarily required.

3. Seems like many places do not have A/C and the Sandy Point Motel is one of them - any opinion if we'll wish we had AC in late July?

Thanks for your help!
Old May 13th, 2004, 01:09 PM

Actually, I found Lake George to be horribly crowded in the summer. We always end up in that area in the fall, which is wonderful.
But-from your choices, I would choose Blue Mt. It is SO beautiful there!
Old May 13th, 2004, 06:33 PM

I would avoid Lake George. Scarlett is right about Lake George, it gets very crowded in July-August. Blue Mountain lake is a great choice.
Old May 14th, 2004, 12:38 PM

I second your choice for blue mountain lake. Very Beautiful. From there you can take 28 to 12 through Utica and down to Binghamton, and from there pick up 81. Nice rolling hills and scenic farms. Going back to 87 is backtracking at least 2 hours.

Don't stop in Old Forge- Giant tourist trap.

But if you have never been to Lake Placid before, I believe it is a must. It is one of my most favorite places on Earth. It can be crowded but not overwhelming.
Old May 14th, 2004, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Scarlet, Mama, and Pethead36. I'll narrow my search to Blue Mountain Lake area based on your recommendations. Would you consider Holl's Inn on Fourth Lake (town of Inlet) to be in the same beautiful area as Blue Mountain Lake, or too close to Old Forge?

Pethead, perhaps a stop for lunch on our way from Montreal would give us a brief glimpse of Lake Placid. Any suggestions for a good lunch spot at Lake Placid? A casual restaurant or a good picnic spot?

Old May 14th, 2004, 03:48 PM

I would stay in Blue Mountain Lake area over the 4th Lake area ... much nicer. I would also not rule out Lake Placid ... although it will get more people than Blue Mtn area, it is nowhere like the crowded tourist trap atmosphere of Lake George. I visiting the Lake Placid area. It's also close to the High Peaks area which is very scenic.
Old May 14th, 2004, 04:15 PM

hotdogz
We drove to Montreal every fall from NYC and stopped for lunch at Schroon Lake..a tiny town with a lake that has picnic tables around it and lovely homes along the shores. We would pick up something from a store along the way.
We have stopped at Ausible Chasm to stretch our legs also-not sure if there is a good place to eat there.
I so loved driving through those mountains, no matter what the weather, it is such a beautiful area.
Old May 17th, 2004, 01:56 PM

I would suggest for Lake Placid a tiny restaurant a little off the beaten path. It is the restaurant in the clubhouse of I believe is the Lake Placid Lodge. To get there travel out of the town going towards Saranac Lake, and on your right there will be a road.The road is across from the Swiss Chalet restaurant also a great choice. If you want a picnic try the Mt. VanHovenburg olympic center. If you have never seen ski jumps and bobsled courses it is a sight to see. I dont want to be biased, but Hershey isnt what it is cracked up to be. The first and only time I went there I was shocked. The town is very, very quiet, and does not, in my opinion live up to its chocolate name. How about Philadelphia, or Pennslyvania Dutch Amish country? There is also Gettysburg and the Poconos. Don't let me ruin your vacation. have fun wherever you go. - Good Luck
Matt P.
Old May 17th, 2004, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Matt, for the Lake Placid suggestions. I think that will make a nice stop on our drive. Unfortunately, I am not having much luck in finding a place to stay. Seems like every place with some appeal either does weekly rentals only or is not available. But I'm not done calling around.

The stop in Hershey was for the kids - to spend a day at Hershey Park as the last stop on our 2 week road trip. We aren't planning to do anything else there other than the amusement park. "Home" is only 2 more hours away in Maryland. I looked around a bit for somewhere in the Poconos to stay, but nothing really caught my attention. If you know of a nice family-oriented and casual place to stay in the Poconos, I'd be interested in hearing about it.
Old May 19th, 2004, 04:27 PM

I hear Ceasar's Pocono Resorts are nice. Never been though. I not sure about the price either. I hope this helps a little.
Old May 20th, 2004, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, you've been very helpful.