Search

Additional Drivers

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2007, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Additional Drivers

Help!

I am going to be going on a trip to Denver soon. I am traveling with a friend and meeting my brother who lives down there. We need to rent a car (brother has a truck) for the weekend to get around, however the driving is going to be shared. It looks like the companies I normally go with all charge $10 a person for additional drivers - this is like a 50% increase in rental price! Is there ANY car rental companies that do not charge for additional drivers?
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 10:06 AM

There are a few that do not charge for spouse - don;t know any that don;t charge for extra drivers. Perhaps look at some of the local companies?
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 04:44 AM

I don't remember which company it was, but with AAA there was no charge for an additional driver.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 04:52 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Unless you get a special promotion or something, free extra drivers are usually limited to spouses.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 05:21 AM

It's a complex issue. Some states even have laws about it. In Nevada they cannot charge you at all for a second driver. Some companies include "domestic partner" for free -- but others only "legally married spouse". Some frequent renter "clubs" give free second driver status.
It seems we never used to pay for a second driver with Dollar -- maybe because we are "Dollar Express" members. But I see on upcoming Dollar reservations we would pay $3 a day for extra driver in New York, and $9 a day for extra driver in Florida -- specifically saying "even if Life Partner".
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 06:18 AM

I'm not sure about Denver, but we rented through Costco in Kauai (Alamo) and there was no charge for an additional driver even though the normal charge is $9.99/day.