Activities for a rainy weekend in Pt Reyes??

Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Activities for a rainy weekend in Pt Reyes??

Debating about cancelling our much-needed getaway 'til later as this coming wknd has another big forecast of rain.

Perhaps later would be better for wildflowers too? Normally they would be spectacular right now, but are there any Marin people who can advise of latest conditions there?

Usually we luck out & have stellar weather there in Spring. Tend to do our longest hikes of the year too...generally 10-12 miles a day while there! Last year was the first time it rained on us at all there...and it was on our departure day. Still we hiked Bear Valley, & did indeed get hailed on even! Returned sopping wet like drowned rats. ;-)

So...now I fear the whole wknd will be like that. I'm okay w/one day. But both? :-\

Should I cancel, or is it time for us to be more creative than hiking, when up there? What else would you do on a rainy day in Marin? Favorite spots?
Someone at work mentioned maybe some cheese factory tour?

And, yes...I know there's always staying in one's room, but *other* than that...?
Ideas? Thanks!
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Btw, it's not so simple as cancelling as our lodging has a strict policy, so
we could only get a raincheck, anyway. (and for weekdays only which is basically impossible for us to use)
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 10:22 PM

Hey...I am in the same position and I live here. One year we actually went to San Diego to get out of this. But this year we decided to ride it out.

If you really want wild flowers you should go to the desert....Anza Borrego...and stay at La Casa del Zorro, I think that is the name. It is a high class resort.

Hike up the Palm Canyon, drive around. It may not be too late for the ocatello blooms.

I am sitting at my computer listening to the rain, and hoping the roof doesn't leak.

If you insist on staying here, yes, there is the Marin French Cheese Factory, I think it is called, not sure, which is way out between Olema and Petaluma....not sure about this, but...ask. They have great brie and are in a very isolated beautiful location and give tours, etc.

I think you are about the end of the "wildflower" season, unless you count the California poppies and the lupines.

You know? I don't know which weekend you mean, but if it has not already passed, I would pass it. It is WET here.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 03:48 AM
Original Poster

I mean this upcoming weekend, just a few days away.

Hmmm...not exactly encouraging it, eh?

Still pondering...

Is that cheese decent? Have you done the tour, per chance? Thanks for the feedback.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 10:36 AM

Today is a cloudy, but so far a dry day in San Francisco. Saturday looks good too.

The cheese factory... it will keep you busy for 1/2 hour The tour is informative, but short. After that drive up to Santa Rosa for Charles Shultz museum, maybe?

Indian museum in Novato.

How far is Napa and Copia? It's an indoor thing I think.

There must be lots of small museums in the area, how far are you willing to drive? You may as well drive down to San Francisco
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 03:55 PM

Weather report says chance of rain coming in tomorrow afternoon/evening and into Saturday. Cloudy with probable rain on Sunday. But, sometimes the jet stream shifts.

The cheese is excellent. Rouge et Noir brie, etc. And the 'factory' sits on a hillside all by itself which will be green, green now. You could get from here to the Charles Schulz museum in Santa Rosa or Copia in Napa. I have been to the Schulz Museum. It is quite interesting. Have not yet made it to Copia.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! Now I have to research
just where that cheese co. is.
Appreciated the help.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 08:57 AM

Today is nice and sunny. The forecast for Saturday is dry. Sunday - occasional showers. You may get lucky! (at least weather-wise )
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 05:56 PM

Well, sunny until late this afternoon. Supposed to be some more rain coming in tonight.

I would just wing it. Have alternate plans, but have a wonderful weekend, anyway.
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 02:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again!
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 02:17 PM

OK, where I live, Santa Cruz, we had sun all day, with wind. Am dying to see your your weekend came out.