Accomodations in Oregon

Search

Accomodations in Oregon

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2005, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accomodations in Oregon

Ok, I've decided on an itinerary for Sept. '06. Beachbum, if youre out there, I will welcome your suggestions. I posted back in Aug. and you seemed very knowledgable & willing to help me. Ok, here goes, flying into Portland, one night on the coast somewhere central. Then two nights in Roseburg(for Crater Lake), then two nights in Gorge area, then 1 night near Portland airport(see the city, & be near for flight home). Thank you. Looking forward to anyone's suggestions on accomodations.
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 05:35 AM

it may look like it on a map but Roseburg (Dogtown)is not where you want to spend your 2 nights and Crater Lake. The ride up 138 is scenic but long. Please believe me that you would be much happier in the Ashland/Medford/Jacksonville area. For one, there are plenty of things to see and do besides CL; sightseeing-
this is our new National Monument, which sits in between CL and the Rogue Valley.

MOST VARIED TERRAIN
Cascade-Siskiyou National Monument
Oregon
This 52,947-acre monument, where the Siskiyou Mountains intersect with the Cascades—old-growth groves of Douglas fir and sugar pine meet sagebrush-dotted desert—is a mélange of landscapes.
Choice Adventure: Trout-fish in Jenny Creek, surrounded by willows and ponderosas.
Base Camp: The Hyatt Lake campground (sites starting at $12 per night) even has its own fish-cleaning station. 541-618-2200, www.or.blm.gov/csnm

Shakespeare, wines & eating too, & you can scoot up the back way from Ashland, or up HWY 62, which follows the Rogue from Medford to Crater Lake in an hour or two. If you come out of
Crater Lake on your 2nd day, you can head NE to hwy 97 and Bend, then up to the Gorge.
We always like Yachats, as you can park your car and walk the town. You could take 126 from the Coast to Eugene, hit 5, and head south, or go all the way down to Brookings, see the top of the Redwoods and come back into the Rogue Valley on US199.
Try this site-
http://www.sova.org
and the state's site-
http://www.traveloregon.com
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 05:38 AM

What are your options for "central" on the coast? If you're thinking of Newport, I can recommend the Tyee Lodge B&B. We had a wonderful time there a few years back. As for near the Portland airport, the only place I've stayed was the Holiday Inn Express, which was certainly nice enough.
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 06:49 AM

I would agree that the Rogue Valley has more than Roseburg for tourists, but it is close to two hours further down the freeway. You already are doing a lot of driving. I would dally on the coast, stay just one night in Roseburg, then head to Crater Lake, but, rather than returning to Roseburg, head to Bend for the next night. Then you can go to the gorge area with ease the next day. There are a number of good hotels near the Portland Airport. We always liked La Quinta Inn.
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 10:20 PM

If you end up staying in Ashland, I would highly recommend the Ashland Springs Hotel
http://www.ashlandspringshotel.com/

We recently stayed there and loved it. Excellent location and design. We had a very nice package that included dinner at their new restaurant and movie tickets. The restaurant was great (so nice not have go any where after the long drive). The hotel was lovely and included a very nice continental- plus breakfast.
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 07:10 PM

Two summers ago, a friend and I travelled from Hood River to Astoria to Wheeler. Though I enjoyed my entire trip very much (as did my friend), I cannot say enough good things about Wheeler. It is a tiny town (population, about 50), on a river (the Nehalem?) that empties into the Pacific; it is about 15 miles south of Cannon Beach (now a tourist nightmare, unlike the wonderful town of my childhood), also very near Manzanita and Nehalem. We stayed at the Old Wheeler Hotel; our room overlooked the river, where we could watch all sorts of interesting wildlife (which we could not name, being city rubes). I cannot recommend this place highly enough - it was perfect, and the next time I travel to Oregon I will definitely return. The amenities were fabulous, but the people were few.