Acadia National Park

Search

Acadia National Park

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2005, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acadia National Park

My wife and I are planning to visit the park in early October, and plan to stay in Ellsworth. Prices for hotels seemed cheaper in Ellsworth. Are we doing the right thing? Is Ellsworth close enough to avoid too much driving to the park? We also plan to dive along the coast for a day or so.
Old May 17th, 2005, 10:04 AM

I was in Acadia about 15 years ago and I would love to go back. When we went we stayed at a cabin at the base of the park. It was a little rustic but it had the essential things and the views were amazing. I can't remember the name of the cabins but they were reasonable, clean and about a mile or so from the park entrance. Enjoy Cadilac Mountain and all it has to offer. Be sure to go to the lobster shack just about a mile outside of the park as well...again, the name escapes me. At that time it was only $4 or 5 bucks per pound! Happy hiking and site seeing.
Old May 17th, 2005, 10:21 AM

We are going this July. We are staying in Bar Harbor 2 miles from Acadia Ntl. Park. I am not sure how far Ellsworth is. I am not sure how much you want to spend, and what kind of place you like to stay at. I have done quite a bit of research on this area in planning my trip quite extensively.

Christina
Old May 17th, 2005, 10:38 AM

One more thing. The hotels should be a little less in October than in the Summer, despite fall colors.
Old May 17th, 2005, 11:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are some places closer than Ellsworth that are not too expensive because they are not near the water.

Check out Edgewater Motel, Eden Village Motel.
Old May 17th, 2005, 11:06 AM

I believe that E'worth is the last town before the LOOOONG causeway onto Mount Desert Island. It seems too far to drive back & forth daily to the Park. Have you looked into the motels on
Rt. 5 in Bar Harbor?
Old May 17th, 2005, 03:28 PM

I think it would be a mistake to stay in Ellsworth. You'll have to drive through a few miles of stripmall uglyness twice a day, plus all the other miles. You should really have no trouble finding good lodging prices in October along Rt 3 close to Bar Harbor.

~liz
Old May 18th, 2005, 03:46 PM

Ellsworth is not far from Acadia from this Mainer's point of view, but then I have to drive 5 miles for a qt. of milk. Several times when camping at Acadia we've gone to Ellsworth for coffee or breakfast. (Sometimes we get up too early for the cute places in Bar Harbor.) I think the drive is less than 1/2 hour. In the summer it would be a problem because of the traffic. You won't find that much traffic in Oct.
Old May 18th, 2005, 04:56 PM

We have always stayed at the Bar Harbor Motel(not Hotel). It is very clean, had buses to the heart of the town & other places in Acadia(during the summer). It was family -run and had a heated pool. It is located near the park entrance. We have always had a good experience. Look it up on the internet.
Old May 19th, 2005, 04:07 AM

I have never been there before. I do believe that the crowds will be gone by October. We are staying at the
Harborside Hotel and Marina. Here is there website.
www.theharborsidehotel.com

It is about 1 mile I believe from the park. In fact, you can rent your bikes and go to the park.

I have done a lot of research and can maybe answer more specific questions you may have.

I know that the best thing to do in the park is to ride your bike along the carriage paths. Go to this
web site and you can see the bike paths.
http://www.nps.gov/acad/exploring.htm#Biking

IN the middle of the park is Jordon Pond Restaurant, perfect stopping point for a break. They are famous for their popovers.

I am going in July and can do a trip report when I return.

Christina
Old May 19th, 2005, 04:37 AM

Tinathetoad, Plan on a wait at Jordan Pond Rest in July or get there before the masses. Biking is great, also hiking and kyaking, sight seeing......
Old May 19th, 2005, 06:15 AM

Thanks for the tip. Maybe we will just go early. I assumed it would be crowded. Good to know though..especially traveling with a 1 year old.
Old May 20th, 2005, 07:49 AM

We stayed in Bar Harbor in October right before Columbus Day when generally everything shuts down. The traffic going into Bar Harbor was not bad at all. It is about 20 miles and may take you 35-40 mins to get from Ellsworth to Bar Harbor. I would second the popovers at the Jordon Pond Rest. The wait was still long in October. Try to sit outside if it is nice. Beautiful! Cadillac Mountain has great views. Take a drive to Somesville on Mount Desert Island. IMO the bridge is something not to miss although if you blink you will. The relection in the water is breathtaking especially with the fall leaves. Have dinner in downtown Bar Harbor. There is a restaurant on the left as you head down to the water where you can sit in a table at the window (which is NOT right at sidewalk level) and you can watch everything going on outside. You will enjoy Bar Harbor in October!
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 06:08 PM
KAC

Acadia National Park is not just Bar Harbor and Mt. Desert Island. At the risk of giving away a dearly held secret, the Schoodic section of Acadia National Park has some of the most gorgeous scenery in the Park.

Have you considered the charming seaside village of Winter Harbor (one mile from the entrance to Schoodic Acadia) as your base? From Winter Harbor you can drive or take the ferry to bustling Bar Harbor if you wish to access the OTHER part of Acadia. There are also other options for accommodations that work better for young families than a hotel or motel.
You can email me for help at [email protected]