Acadia, Bar Harbor

Apr 6th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Acadia, Bar Harbor

Anyone have a favorite place to stay, a favorite place to eat, a favorite hike? It has been far too long and maybe a good time to take a road trip once spring starts showing off.
Apr 6th, 2009, 01:31 PM

It's probably a too obvious choice, but I really loved staying at the Bar Harbor Inn. The location and the view are just unbeatable. We would wake up early and take walks along the shore path. Easily walk into town for dinner. Short drive gets you to the park.

I liked climbing the Beehive. it's a little steep in spots, but not too hard. And once at the top you can see out across Sand Beach.

Another great thing is to take a hike on the "quiet" side of the park. The trails on the loop road can be very crowded, especially mid summer.But hardly anyone hikes up Acadia Mountain, or Sauveur, on the other side of Soames sound. They are peaceful, and you might even see the peregrine falcons.

Renting a canoe or kayak on Soames sound is another favorite thing to do.
Apr 6th, 2009, 02:49 PM
mdn

We loved our stay at the Bass Cottage Inn. Exceptional service & friendlyness; convenient location in town. It's not on the water & other places may have better views.
Apr 6th, 2009, 03:23 PM

My oldest friend from NY now lives in Bass Harbor. She is an artist, teaches s Plein Air classes in summer ...
I can ask for advice and forward it to you ...
Apr 8th, 2009, 01:50 AM

There are many nice B&Bs if those suit your needs. My favorte lunch spot is EPI's for a sandwich, then Ben and Bills for ice cream. Although they are not the only ice cream shop, they are the ONLY ice cream shop in my book. Are you going to get a park pass? I get a year pass every spring because it is easier and I am there at least a half dozen times thru the summer. However, If the Beehive hike and sand beach are on your list, there is an alternate route. It does add a very easy 10 minute walk but there is no need to pay the park entrance fee. Same goes for pretty much most of the park. If you only have a couple of days, send me a message. I do support the Park and do not want to put this info on this page.
J
Apr 9th, 2009, 10:14 AM

The beehive is a nice hike, and the Precipice Trail, if your on the more adventurous is another fun hike that gets you up into the high country of the park.

My favorite hike is to Bar Island. This trail isn't that long and is only open when the tide is low. Its kinda cool cause for some of the day, this trail is out in the ocean, but then the tide goes down and the walkway to the island opens up.
Apr 9th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Funny thing about hiking in Acadia - about 20 years ago mrlou and I had a romantic getaway there. I bought this postcard of a beautiful waterfall and decided it would be cool to find it. It was somewhere on MDI and I started pulling over and asking people. We finally found someone that knew where the trailhead was. So we hiked the 2 miles in to an arrow that told us 4 miles that way? Somehow we had gone 2 miles in the wrong direction? Well hike and hike we did and find it we did. Only problem was the photo was taken in spring and we were visiting in the fall! The waterfall was barely a trickle! We took a forestry road out and it was maybe a mile to the car!
Apr 9th, 2009, 01:23 PM

If the Precipice trail is on your list, you will have to wait until mid summer. Perigon Falcons nest on the ledges and the trail is closed until the chicks are flying on their own.
Apr 9th, 2009, 02:20 PM
yk

OMG! How could it be possible that no one has mentioned the popovers at Jordan Pond House yet?!?!
Jun 15th, 2009, 12:35 PM

jlm43

How do I contact you for the information on Acadia? We will only have 1 1/2 days to explore and would like the information

Jan
Jun 15th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

ya know, I think I bought a popover pan at the gift shop about 20 years ago, and maybe made popovers twice. Time to look up some recipes that don't require a half a cow! One simply must have a popover while visiting Acadia!