A random day on Maui

Old Apr 12th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A random day on Maui

My husband and I are going to be in Maui next week. We have a lot planned, including sunrise on Haleakala, touring the local winery, goat dairy farm, & O'o Farms, the Road to Hana, snorkeling, and going in search of great banana bread. We find that we have one more day to fill and would love some suggestions. We're staying in Lahaina and will have our own rental car. My hubby is not a swimmer, so our 1 or 2 days we've already scheduled for beach time is plenty for him. What is one other activity you think we shouldn't miss.
Thanks for your suggestions!
Old Apr 12th, 2010, 08:26 PM

start your day having breakfast at the gorgeous Plantation house at Kapalua golf course..food for breakfast is excellent and super reasonable with great views and no lines!
ahi benedict with a wasabi hollandaise is our fave with a bloody.
drive the back side of the island and hike around the needle Ioa Valley..gorgeous!
do you play golf?
take a hula class or a lei making course.
aloha
Old Apr 12th, 2010, 09:42 PM

Iao Needle

Maui Ocean Center

Drive to South Maui. At the end of the road (south of Makena) there are lava fields & a Heiau. Stop at some of the beaches along the way.

There are still some whales though most will have left by the time you get there. So maybe a whale watching tour. Some of the tour operators go into May. Or you can watch from shore.

A luau
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 05:54 AM

I agree with ksucat: breakfast at the Plantation House followed by a drive north on Hwy 30 makes for an idyllic day. ( you'll also find a really good banana bread stand along that route).
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 07:19 AM

How about the Old Lahaina Luau?
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 07:20 AM

Or a sailing trip with Trilogy?
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 08:46 AM

Where are you going snorkeling? If you don't have the fishbowl included in your snorkeling, that is a must. We were reminiscing about that just the other day. Also, there's a lot to do out in Hana, so I would recommend two days out there. There isn't much to do at night, and not many choices for eating, so I'd bring my own food to cook and find a hotel that includes a kitchen. We stayed at the Hana Hale Malamalama -- the Bamboo Studio is just right for two, and you can hear the ocean while you sleep. Out in Hana, you can visit the Red Sand Beach, Hamoa Beach, O'Hea Gulch where you can swim in the Seven Sacred Pools, follow the Pipiwai Trail through the bamboo forest to Waimoku Falls, swin in the Venus pool, visit Wai 'anapanapa (Black Sand Beach, blow hole, cave pools). Then drive the south road back from Hana. You can visit Charles Lindburg's burial site, and Mokulau (one of the most beautiful places on earth). If you have enough time, there's even a sequoia forest to visit in Polipoli on the way back.
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 01:19 PM

Recently I have read that access to fishbowl has been closed off by government authorities due to liability issues.
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Keep the suggestions coming! I really appreciate what you're sharing. Right now Ioa Valley is looking very promising. I did forget to mention that we plan on hitting Mama's Fish Kitchen for Lunch that day.
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 07:36 PM

then you have a full day..
7am at Plantation house at Kapalua Golf Course for breakfast (considered one of the must places)
drive around the back side of the island..
Ioa valley for an 2 hour+ hike and then hit Mama's Fish House for a late lunch..
Sunset at Kimo's on the patio..
Ahi and a mai tai..priceless..
aloha
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 06:35 AM

How about ziplining? www.zipline.com
We did this through Skyline Eco adventures, and it was a lot of fun, even if you're not very adventurous. And I am slightly scared of heights but I had a great time. We did the Haleakala ziplines, but we want to do the Kaanapali ones next!

We also ate at Mama's fish house in Paia and it was amazing. I suggest walking around Paia either before or after lunch as it's a really cute town. We also did the Surfing Goat Dairy, and Ali'i Kula Lavender farm upcountry which were great. We stopped in the town of Makawao upcountry and walked around there too. It has quaint high-end boutiques and art galleries to explore.

We didnt' get a chance to go to Iao Needle, but we're saving that for our next trip in Nov.
You guys are going to have a great time in Maui!
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

KSUCAT - That sounds PERFECT!!! Thank you!
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 11:26 AM

My husband & I are two 40 somethings who celebrated our 10 yr anniversary in Maui this past November. When we were in upcountry, after seeing the sunrise at Haleakala, we went on a zipline tour, then we visited the lavender farm - had lavender scones with lavender lilikoi jam and coffee, toured the farm, & I managed to purchase quite a few lavender products to take home! It was just down the road from the winery which we toured later & had lunch across from the winery (my husband tried the elk burger which he really liked!) & bought a bottle of the Ulupalakua Red which we took with us to Hana where we spent 3 nights at a sweet cottage. We really loved the little town of Paia (we actually stayed at the Paia Inn 2 nights & used that as a launch for upcountry Maui one day & for the Road to Hana our last day); we enjoyed visiting the little shops, trying out various restaurants (my husband's favorite was the Paia Fish Market! We also tried the Flatbread Company, Milagros, Charley's for a brunch & later in the trip, when we were staying in a B & B near Lahaina, we returned & had a mid-afternoon lunch at Mama's Fish House - it was ~ 2:30 pm - a great time to go; we had a great table with waterfront view - there were many people dining, but I expect it would be much more crowded at dinner hour. Another day, while staying in West Maui, we went on the Trilogy Lanai sail/snorkle trip & it was great fun! We really didn't spend that much time snorkeling - the Pacific Ocean is a lot colder than what I'm used to at the Atlantic or Gulf coast. Hope this isn't too much info - to sum it up, we loved the upcountry & all of the activities there as well as the cooler climate, Paia, Hana, really loved the Trilogy sail/snorkel tour & being able to see another island (Lanai), even if just for a day trip this time - whatever you decide, I know you'll have a great time!
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 11:36 AM

mouseRD - we also did sunrise at Haleakala, zipline tour afterwards, then went to the lavendar farm! Looks like we had a very similar itinerary, plus we also went last November. We managed to squeeze in breakfast at the Kula Lodge as well in between sunrise and the morning zipline tour. It was a fantastic day!
Old May 4th, 2010, 09:03 AM

bm